Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

New Old Man

Mtaag3

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just got my '22 ST. I'm very happy about this purchase. So far (few days) it's been extremely nice. I want to do some mild mods, depending on ease, cost, etc. I'm also a big fan of those diving in deep to serious modifications. I'm out of the performance scene but appreciate quality tuning and improvement.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
If you want to get serious, then the first mod you should do is the whipple intercooler. The factory IC is too small and way to restrictive and is prone to heat soak after a few pulls or trips down the dragstrip. The whipple IC cools so much better, it opens the door to better mods in the future. It is also one of the few mods you do without requiring a tune. You can get a tune later that will unlock the potential of the IC. They are $1095 from every vendor that sells them.

OP
M

Mtaag3

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
how much of a PITA is it to install that IC?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
how much of a PITA is it to install that IC?
I don't know if PITA is the right descriptor here. The installation is not particularly difficult though it is time-consuming. It took me a little longer than others have stated. It took me close to 5 hours, I've read where others have done it in 3 hours.

I'll readily admit that I'm not as fast as I once was. I'm sure I could knock at least an hour off of that time if I did it again as I wouldn't have to mess around with the rivets or install a blacked-out FORD oval. Having another set of hands is very nice to help lift and hold.

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Watch this video, it will give you a good idea of what you need to do, and it can be done with basic hand tools.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum.