Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Need to Vent

Reactions
I've never really had too much luck when it comes to dealerships with warranty BS. Had to take the ST in because the drivers side memory refused to stay at the settings we chose. I'm 6'2" my wife it 5'7" so not a huge difference but still a difference. It continued to crush our knees 95% of the time. We also got a warning about the passengers side seat (airbag and seatbelt). I made an appointment 2 weeks from this posting. Dropped it off this morning at 7:30 am. Called at 3:30 pm and they had not even looked at it. Ask them to call with an update. They claimed they could not duplicate the memory issue. Why didn't they change the setting and see if it kept is beyond me. Told the service guy about our heights and the issues we are both having. He then told me that "you must have broke the sensor under the seat" and it will cost $350. Let me back track for a sec, I had to get an Uber due to my wife having an early meeting, this cost me $50 with tip. I called them yesterday and ask if a loaner was available, they told me I can't get a loaner. I know someone in service and she said "any time you have a warranty issue you are entitled to a loaner. Not the end of the world, however, when they told me it was gonna cost me $350 I had an issue. I told him I was not paying that. "You can have the owner call and I will tell them the same thing". If this so called sensor is so easily damaged from vacuuming then that is a flaw on their part. He mentioned my "after market" Diamond floor mats....... REALLY?!?!?!? They are floor mats. I left a message with my friend about the entire BS of all this. The service guy called me back and said they will fix the sensor for free and will try to duplicate the memory issue when I pick it up tomorrow. I mean WTF, I didn't buy a Hugo. Sorry for the long winded post but you are the only people that seem to understand the pain. Thanks for listening
PS..... don't install Diamond Floor Mats, it will void your warranty :/

Reactions
Good thing they are fixing it for you. Any other dealerships nearby? Sounds like this one is terrible to work with. Floor mats, jeezus.....

Dphan67

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Sorry to hear about your issues. Yes the seat position sensor is in a bad and fragile position. I added a pistol lockbox under the driver's seat and caused the same error message. When the seat moved back and forth on entry, the lockbox pulled the sensor out of the mounting clip on the seat rail. Fortunately I had not damaged the sensor. A simple fix and then minor adjustment to the lock box position took care of my issue, no trips to the dealer. What was learned is that you really can't place anything under the front seats, the sensor is mounted on the seat rail but fully exposed. I can see hitting this with a vacuum if blindly cleaning under the seat.

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Taking her back in the 14th of Sept. so they can check the drivers memory again. I have it on video this time, crushing my knees. The video is too large to add here. Told me they'll have a loaner for me this time. What's the smallest Ford they make? LOL

Update: They did have a loaner this time, Edge, so not bad. They still can't duplicate the problem and ask me to meet with their tech so I could set the seat to my setting. We did this and it almost kept the setting but still moved forward about an inch. He said he would get in touch with someone and get back to me later today. I have a strong feeling nothing is going to be done.

Last edited:
OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Getting the run around, telling me that they haven't heard of this problem and that Ford won't pay them to "throw parts" at my ST and that Ford will have to come up with some kind of software change BS BS BS. Waiting on the service manager to call me. Hopefully he'll work to get it fixed, if not then I'll have to call the general manager. If anyone has any insight that would be very helpful.

Reactions
Good info about the sensor location. I'll have to be more careful now when vacuuming.

Thanks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You may want to also reach out to Ford Customer Care if the issue persists. They were helpful with providing a loaner during a repair I had.

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
You may want to also reach out to Ford Customer Care if the issue persists. They were helpful with providing a loaner during a repair I had.
I may have to do that. They did give me a loaner but they aren't willing work to fix the seat issue

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
The service director called and said he I looking into and will have an answer for me by noon tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
They were able to duplicate the problem, new module and harness on order. Picked her up today, took back the 2018 Edge Sport loaner. What a difference LOL

OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
New update. Nothing to add :/ over three months and still no replacement module.

Newest of new updates.... still no damn seat module! This is ridiculous!

FINALLY!!! Getting the new module installed this Thursday. Hope this fixes the issue.

Last edited:
OP
Floxx
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Finally!!! So far the seat appears to be keeping the settings. Still working on that "sweet spot setting"

barackus

Reactions
Getting the run around, telling me that they haven't heard of this problem and that Ford won't pay them to "throw parts" at my ST and that Ford will have to come up with some kind of software change BS BS BS. Waiting on the service manager to call me. Hopefully he'll work to get it fixed, if not then I'll have to call the general manager. If anyone has any insight that would be very helpful.
Bwahaha. Ford not willing to throw parts to fix a problem. Let me get you a real abbreviated troubleshooting action they took that resulted in a buy back

Vibration in the vehicle from 8-1100 rpm. Tech worked with ford and explained the problem. Ford engineer said to replace the long block - not making this shit up and I asked the tech why. He said the eng said crank imbalance(15k miles). Replace long block - vibration still exists(shocking). End of the day disconnects exhaust at the cats and viola, no vibration!. New exhaust ordered. Bad news, new long block was bad - shiny oil, disco ball filter, rod knock.. Ford said replace it again. Buy back should be completed soon. I Will miss the truck, but Ford quality is shit now for a 57k vehicle.