Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Need any advice I can get

Jarsa3oh3

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
So I just picked up a 2022 st and I want to make a some good performance upgrades. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Im looking for more high end quality parts. I don’t want to go cheap on my baby

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
So I just picked up a 2022 st and I want to make a some good performance upgrades. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Im looking for more high end quality parts. I don’t want to go cheap on my baby
Well you'll want to keep warranty so I'd recommend Whiplle intercooler, rear sway bar, Steeda or H&R lowering springs, front suspension strut brace, rear diff brace (a must), Thermal R&D 3" exhaust, and Ford Performances tune (to keep warranty). Congrats!

Last edited:
OP
J

Jarsa3oh3

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thank you man very excited!! Why the rear differential strut brace?

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Thank you man very excited!! Why the rear differential strut brace?
Explorer STs actually had a recall for the rear diff bolt because under hard acceleration, the rear bolt cracks. Better to be safe than sorry.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It's not a rear strut brace, it's a differential brace. 2020 Explorers have 2 bolts into the back of the diff (plus the 2 up front) and 2021+ have only 1 in the back. There are 3 braces available that help locate the rear diff better, from $150 up to $600. Obviously, strength increases the more you spend.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
It's not a rear strut brace, it's a differential brace. 2020 Explorers have 2 bolts into the back of the diff (plus the 2 up front) and 2021+ have only 1 in the back. There are 3 braces available that help locate the rear diff better, from $150 up to $600. Obviously, strength increases the more you spend.
Correct you can check the forum. Think there are maybe 2 or 3 posts that discuss the 1 vs 2 bolt subframe and potential fixes. Certainly not anything that will take you 2 weeks to read.:rolleyes:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Your very best "bang for the buck" is a tune. Most would recommend ZFG (zfgracing.com). There are numerous dyno results on this forum where he has achieved approx 100 HP over stock with a custom 93 octane tune. For about $1k, there is nothing else that compares to dollar/HP ($10/HP)

If you don't have the four bolt rear end (later '21 on), a rear diff brace is good insurance. The ID Speed or AWR part are the best out there currently. Although it won't actually add HP per se, an upgraded intercooler is also highly recommended for both consistent performance and longevity. There are now three- Whipple, CV Fab, and Mishimoto. The Whipple is proven in tons of installations, but is expensive. CV Fab is the new guy on the block and is cheaper. Since you seem to be less concerned with a budget, I'd recommend the Whipple.

At this point, you're driving an ST with approx 425-440 wheel HP. And if you elect to go with ethanol, an E50 tune will net you 475-500 wheel HP.

After that, the dollar/HP factor will go up dramatically.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Lowering with springs or coil overs, Tune and Intercooler would be it for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well you'll want to keep warranty so I'd recommend Whiplle intercooler, rear sway bar, Steeda or H&R lowering springs, front suspension strut brace, rear diff brace (a must), Thermal R&D 3" exhaust, and Ford Performances tune (to keep warranty). Congrats!
This…

OP
J

Jarsa3oh3

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everybody!!!

Reactions
Congrats on the purchase @Jarsa3oh3 !

I just wanted to jump in here and first say that no build is complete without a catch can! Blow-by and carbon buildup are the primary culprits to slowing your ST down over time, and especially when your pushing more power through that EcoBoost. Check out more about our direct fit setup here: Mishimoto Catch Can

We also have a hefty intercooling offering that we just launched this fall. Head over to our blog for some more info on that as well!

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions on either of these products!

-Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Nick and Mishimoto's customer service has been supreme. I purchased my intercooler from them and am happy overall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Same issue with 2022s?

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Not all 2021 + ST’s have a 1 bolt differential in the rear. My 22 ST build date 2Oct22 has a 2 bolt rear differential. Depends what parts are on the line when it’s built. “I won the 2 bolt lottery”