Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Need 2020 Explorer ST Alternator-Battery diagram

Aznleech

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Good morning, everyone. I'm am in search of a wiring diagram for the charging system, mainly for the fuse strip that is mounted on top of the battery.

Backstory - started driving to Sam's Club this morning and the "Charging System Sevice Soon" alarm came on. After watching some YouTube videos, I figured out that the fusable link (the 80amp one) was blown. I believe some on this forum have been referring to this as a "melted battery cap issue". No video or picture I've seen ever mentions a fuse that low in amperage.

A buddy of mine had changed changed out a dead battery for me not too long ago. I just want to verify that he didn't disconnect and put any cable back I. The wrong place. Also, if anyone has ever changed one of these out, pls let me know where you got the part.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Good morning, everyone. I'm am in search of a wiring diagram for the charging system, mainly for the fuse strip that is mounted on top of the battery.

Backstory - started driving to Sam's Club this morning and the "Charging System Sevice Soon" alarm came on. After watching some YouTube videos, I figured out that the fusable link (the 80amp one) was blown. I believe some on this forum have been referring to this as a "melted battery cap issue". No video or picture I've seen ever mentions a fuse that low in amperage.

A buddy of mine had changed changed out a dead battery for me not too long ago. I just want to verify that he didn't disconnect and put any cable back I. The wrong place. Also, if anyone has ever changed one of these out, pls let me know where you got the part.

Thank you in advance.
Same setup with the 3.0, step #2 only, not sure about the other steps.
https://www.foexplorer.com/ford_exp...y_cables_2_3l_ecoboost_201kw_273ps_-1002.html

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Thank you in advance.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/m...es)-p-lu5z14526ald?pdp=y#/sectionId:151205636

OP
A

Aznleech

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thank you very much! As i suspected, he had the top two cables in the middle swapped... 200amps vs. 80amps... no wonder the 80amps melted... now the next step is to find that fuse strip... having a hell of a time with Google right now. P/N 05980029z-1. If anyone has replaced it before and can't point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thank you very much! As i suspected, he had the top two cables in the middle swapped... 200amps vs. 80amps... no wonder the 80amps melted... now the next step is to find that fuse strip... having a hell of a time with Google right now. P/N 05980029z-1. If anyone has replaced it before and can't point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sheesh. I had no idea those were high amperage fuses--thought it was just a distribution block. I guess by sheer luck I put them all back where I found them. Just as an aside, I never do car work on anyone else's car except our own--I never want to be responsible for a mishap like yours!

OP
A

Aznleech

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
OP
A

Aznleech

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Sheesh. I had no idea those were high amperage fuses--thought it was just a distribution block. I guess by sheer luck I put them all back where I found them. Just as an aside, I never do car work on anyone else's car except our own--I never want to be responsible for a mishap like yours!
Yeah, I wish I had done it myself too. Unfortunately, I was running late for an appointment that day and my buddy was an electrician also. I figured he would understand one of the most basic rules of electrical work: label every cable disconnected and put it back exactly where you found it..

OP
A

Aznleech

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8

Explorer ST Posts