Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

My ST died today

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I was about to leave work and was sitting in the car with it running letting it warm up, A/C on, sat radio on, and suddenly it just died. I tried to restart it but it would just crank and crank but not fire. It acted like it had no fuel, I have close to half a tank. I'm thinking the fuel pump or the FPDM died. Had to call the wife and have her come pic me up, left the ST sitting at work. I'm calling roadside assistance tomorrow and having it towed to the dealer.

Thoughts anyone?

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Don't have a clue, but will be interested on what it is.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
Sorry to hear that, how many miles are on your ST?
If you had a Forscan or other scantool you can monitor the fuel pressure pids while cranking the engine, which is probably what they will do. Then determine if it's a fuel or spark issue. Good luck!

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
26K and still under the 3/36 warranty

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Got my ST back today. Turns out it was a bad battery, had a bad cell, and triggered 5 different voltage related codes. Got a new battery under warranty.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Glad that’s all it was. A year or so ago, our ST drained the battery overnight. Took the battery out and to the dealer. After a quick charge, they said it was fine. Couldn’t find out why the vehicle did what it did. Been fine ever since.

Reactions
Glad that’s all it was. A year or so ago, our ST drained the battery overnight. Took the battery out and to the dealer. After a quick charge, they said it was fine. Couldn’t find out why the vehicle did what it did. Been fine ever since.
Could it be an automatic update connecting to wi-fi? That would drain the battery. Wouldn't it?

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I have auto updates for sync turned off. Besides, they tested the battery and found a dead cell.

Reactions
I have auto updates for sync turned off. Besides, they tested the battery and found a dead cell.
Sorry, I caught that. I was responding to Autoworker. Glad your issue had an easy fix. I just hooked up the charger to mine tonight.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Well today my ST did it again. Tried to jump start it to no avail, had to get the wife to come get me again. It's getting towed back to the dealer again. I'll be driving my Mach 1 for the next couple of days, I guess I can manage.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
I heard from the dealer today. They said the good news was the fuel pump is intermittently bad, the bad news is now they need to find a new pump. They said it may be a while before they find a new pump.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #13
Got my ST back today. Fuel pump was bad and when they dropped the tank to remove the fuel hat assy, the vapor tube was broken off and lost in the tank somewhere. The ended up replacing the tank also.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Got my ST back today. Fuel pump was bad and when they dropped the tank to remove the fuel hat assy, the vapor tube was broken off and lost in the tank somewhere. The ended up replacing the tank also.
Sure hope they didn’t screw up anything else. The vapor tube is connected to the evap system. If it was broken you would have a cel with evap codes. They broke shit taking it apart. Shit happens a lot when you’re (they, not you) a goon.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
I'm just going by what I was told. I didn't see the parts, nor did I get a CEL to indicate a code.