Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

My order’s journey- Complete!

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hello! :)

New member to the forum, from BC Canada. I just wanted to share my experience thus far with my factory order. I’ve been reading most of the posts from this forum and thought I’d make an account and share as well! I was told by the salesperson that it will take 6 months to get. I will be trading in my 2019 Ford Escape titanium.

Ordered my 2022 Ford Explorer ST on February 17th 2022:
Atlas blue
401A package
Tow package
Premium tech package
ST street package
No moonroof
No captains chairs- wanted bench seats instead

May 26/22
No VIN # yet

July 11/22
No VIN # yet

July 13/22
As per my salesperson; due to all the shortages the auto/stop start option has been permanently removed. The multi contour seats and the rear seat controls for heat/air conditioning are not available but will be installed at a later date when Ford receives the parts.

So I’m almost at my 5 month mark with no VIN yet. It’s really hard to be patient but I know it’ll be worth the wait in the end! I’ll keep updating my cars journey until I have it parked in my driveway.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hello! :)

New member to the forum, from BC Canada. I just wanted to share my experience thus far with my factory order. I’ve been reading most of the posts from this forum and thought I’d make an account and share as well! I was told by the salesperson that it will take 6 months to get. I will be trading in my 2019 Ford Escape titanium.

Ordered my 2022 Ford Explorer ST on February 17th 2022:
Atlas blue
401A package
Tow package
Premium tech package
ST street package
No moonroof
No captains chairs- wanted bench seats instead

May 26/22
No VIN # yet

July 11/22
No VIN # yet

July 13/22
As per my salesperson; due to all the shortages the auto/stop start option has been permanently removed. The multi contour seats and the rear seat controls for heat/air conditioning are not available but will be installed at a later date when Ford receives the parts.

So I’m almost at my 5 month mark with no VIN yet. It’s really hard to be patient but I know it’ll be worth the wait in the end! I’ll keep updating my cars journey until I have it parked in my driveway.
Hope you get some good news soon. Welcome to the forum I know you will enjoy the ST when it gets to you.

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Hope you get some good news soon. Welcome to the forum I know you will enjoy the ST when it gets to you.
Thank you! Fingers crossed!

Reactions
I finally got my VIN number! :)
Congrats! I am hopefully right behind you...I ordered on February 14th. Almost identical to your build except I got the moonroof and no tech package. Good luck!

Brian

BLVDBroker

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Congrats. Just got my wife's ST on Saturday. Went into production on July 25, delivered to dealer overnight on 27/28. It definitely still has start/stop, and the multicontour seats aren't being added back by dealer I'm pretty sure.

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Congrats! I am hopefully right behind you...I ordered on February 14th. Almost identical to your build except I got the moonroof and no tech package. Good luck!

Brian
Thank you! Hopefully you get yours soon as well! :)

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
Congrats. Just got my wife's ST on Saturday. Went into production on July 25, delivered to dealer overnight on 27/28. It definitely still has start/stop, and the multicontour seats aren't being added back by dealer I'm pretty sure.
Thank you! :)

Oh wow, that was quick! I wonder if mine will have the start/stop then. As for the seats, I’m okay without them so not really a deal breaker.

BLVDBroker

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Thank you! :)

Oh wow, that was quick! I wonder if mine will have the start/stop then. As for the seats, I’m okay without them so not really a deal breaker.
Yeah, I live 2 hours from the plant which helps, but also nice it didn't get hung up in production like my Bronco that sat incognito for 3 weeks at MAP. I've read the non multicontour actually are more comfy, but the wife was still pissed

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #10
Yeah, I live 2 hours from the plant which helps, but also nice it didn't get hung up in production like my Bronco that sat incognito for 3 weeks at MAP. I've read the non multicontour actually are more comfy, but the wife was still pissed
That is awesome being so close! Makes the waiting period a lot easier haha. I sure hope I don’t have to wait much longer but guess we’ll see. My husband was upset about the seats but as long as they are heated I’m happy lol.

snoftall

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Curious to know if your build still shows the premium tech package on your order tracking of if it has been changed to the tech package. Received my VIN and noticed mine had been changed as described above. Called my dealer who checked their system and it still showed in their system as the premium tech package and told me not to worry. Now my window sticker has been released and its showing as tech package and when I called my dealer again they said that it is now showing as tech package in their system too and they have no explanation as to why it was changed.

Attachments

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Curious to know if your build still shows the premium tech package on your order tracking of if it has been changed to the tech package. Received my VIN and noticed mine had been changed as described above. Called my dealer who checked their system and it still showed in their system as the premium tech package and told me not to worry. Now my window sticker has been released and its showing as tech package and when I called my dealer again they said that it is now showing as tech package in their system too and they have no explanation as to why it was changed.
Mine just says tech package as well. Wonder if it’s because they’ve deleted the massaging seats?

Attachments

snoftall

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Mine just says tech package as well. Wonder if it’s because they’ve deleted the massaging seats?
That's what I'm thinking. I won't lie, I'm upset about this. Ford shouldn't be accepting orders for options they cannot deliver on, let alone advertising them (still advertised on their website and even available for 2023 models). And then for them to have the ability to simply drop an option and offer whatever "credit" they feel like offering is not right...there is no way they would ever charge $325 to add multicontour seats as an individual add-on option. They would likely charge around $1,000 at minimum... It is also frustrating that I originally placed my order in January and it has taken this long to build, and while I've been trying to be patient and understanding, to hear and see others place orders and receive their vehicles well after I placed my order, and to see that because their vehicle was built earlier they didn't loose these options, just adds salt to the wound. The way Ford has handled these supply chain issues has been unacceptable on so many levels...

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I sympathize that some people are frustrated because Ford, like every other manufacturer, is having trouble with supply chain and chip issues. So what's your suggestion on how they handle it since you believe it's "been unacceptable on so many levels"? Perhaps they should just stop selling vehicles at all unless it can be built to your spec? Where would you be then? I suppose then you'd be complaining that they aren't trying to fill your order? I suppose they should just stop their business because you can't get exactly what you want; when you want? If so many of you are put out that you have to compromise, just go cancel your order.

For crying out loud, quit playing the victim, be proactive and go buy something else.

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
That's what I'm thinking. I won't lie, I'm upset about this. Ford shouldn't be accepting orders for options they cannot deliver on, let alone advertising them (still advertised on their website and even available for 2023 models). And then for them to have the ability to simply drop an option and offer whatever "credit" they feel like offering is not right...there is no way they would ever charge $325 to add multicontour seats as an individual add-on option. They would likely charge around $1,000 at minimum... It is also frustrating that I originally placed my order in January and it has taken this long to build, and while I've been trying to be patient and understanding, to hear and see others place orders and receive their vehicles well after I placed my order, and to see that because their vehicle was built earlier they didn't loose these options, just adds salt to the wound. The way Ford has handled these supply chain issues has been unacceptable on so many levels...
It’s extremely frustrating. My husband really wanted those seats. And you’d think because we ordered at the beginning of the year we’d still get them. I wonder why they aren’t giving a credit for the seats and just installing them later? With the rear ac/heat controls they are giving a credit and they will be installing them at a later date when they receive the parts. Unless it’s impossible to do so after the vehicle is built. But yeah, why still offer them if they aren’t being installed?

It would have been nice if my salesperson informed me of all these deletes and credits. I only learned about them from reading these forums and I then emailed him asking for clarification. I would have been extremely upset to learn about all this the day it showed up to the dealership. After waiting such a long time, only to learn the fully loaded vehicle I ordered isn’t 100% fully loaded. At least I’ve had time to get over the initial disappointment of some things. The hands-free liftgate would have been nice! The auto/stop start I can do without lol.

Still waiting for mine to be built and everyday I’m anxious they will delete something else…

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #16
I sympathize that some people are frustrated because Ford, like every other manufacturer, is having trouble with supply chain and chip issues. So what's your suggestion on how they handle it since you believe it's "been unacceptable on so many levels"? Perhaps they should just stop selling vehicles at all unless it can be built to your spec? Where would you be then? I suppose then you'd be complaining that they aren't trying to fill your order? I suppose they should just stop their business because you can't get exactly what you want; when you want? If so many of you are put out that you have to compromise, just go cancel your order.

For crying out loud, quit playing the victim, be proactive and go buy something else.
I think it’s not so much complaining as just venting you know? It’s extremely frustrating waiting 6+ months for something only to learn it won’t be 100% what you were told it would be. Meanwhile other people who have ordered after us, not only have received their orders but they still have the options that have since been deleted from our orders. It’s a system that doesn’t make sense to me.

At this point why would one cancel their order? Just to wait another 6+ months, possibly longer, for a different veichle that may or may not have the options they ordered due to all issues everyone is having? For me personally, I’m gonna ride this wave until the end and just pray there are no more deletes!

It’s nice to see that I’m not the only one having these issues and it’s nice to talk to different people and learn how their experiences have been so far. I understand everyone is having issues and they are probably doing the best they can but it’s still frustrating and there seems to be no light at the end of this tunnel.

When I ordered my Ford Escape back in November 2018, it only took 3 months to arrive! Gone are those days I think haha.

snoftall

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

:LOL: you certainly seem to sympathize with the frustration some of us feel. Not entirely sure why you think we are "playing victim". Just voicing frustration with how the situation has been mismanaged. Just for fun, let's say you see advertisements for a couple of local restaurants. You decide to go to one place that caught your eye, only to find there is a lineup to get in. You check around to other places nearby and find they all have lineups too. So you decide to wait patiently for this place. Eventually, you finally get to go in. You look over the menu, make your choice and place your order, lets say for a steak. You then wait patiently for your order. An hour goes by and still no sign of your order...you start to wonder what is going on so you ask your server and they say "Don't worry, its being prepared and will be ready shortly". Another hour goes by and still nothing. Finally, your server brings out your "order", but instead of a steak its a meatloaf...sure that's somewhat similar to your order (has beef in it), but it is still not what you ordered and not what you were looking forward to enjoying. Your ask your server why it isn't a steak and they say "Sorry, we don't have any steak left, so we've decided to substitute it for this." Well, that is BS...and wouldn't be acceptable. Sure you can get up and leave and go somewhere else, but you will have to start over and wait in a lineup somewhere else, and now you are even more hungry because you have been waiting around patiently for more than 2 hours to enjoy this steak which this placed advertised as being available and even reassured you was being prepared after you had ordered it. On your way out, you hear of others who just arrived to the restaurant, well after you had. They are talking about that huge lineup that is still outside and how they got lucky and somehow managed to just walk straight in and sit down with no wait. Then, their server lays down a nice steak meal in front of them. Well that just makes this whole situation sting a bit more...here you are hungry and disappointed (or eating an underwhelming meatloaf), and you see and hear this. Then you find out later that the restaurant actually did have the steak when you placed your order, and still had the steak when you checked back in with your server wondering the status of your order, but the restaurant just didn't pick up your order before they ran out; instead randomly picking up other orders which may or may not have been placed before your order. I really think that would not be deemed acceptable by the majority of people, and if the restaurant continued to operate like that it would surely go out of business. This is similar to what is going on here. I don't think the average person would say that you'd be "playing victim" if you vented/complained about that experience.

My issues are the random order pickups rather than chronologically by order date and now how Ford continues to advertise features as available when in actual fact, they are not all available. And like I said, this is all due to mismanagement on so many levels. Do I expect them to stop selling vehicles because of supply chain issues; absolutely not. Do I expect them to update their advertising to stop advertising certain features which are no longer available; absolutely yes. But they continue to advertise and show MCS as an available option on their websites when clearly it is not. I also expect them to offer a more reasonable credit on previous orders which they have accepted to build but have to change because some options are no long available. A $325CAD for removing MCS...are you joking? That is a bit of a slap in the face. There is no way they would make that option a $325 add on for a new vehicle; it would be closer to $1000CAD option at minimum.

I would also expect them to change how they pickup orders, and make it chronological, especially for retail orders. A retail customer (regardless of location) who orders in January should absolutely have their vehicle scheduled for production before another retail customer who orders their vehicle in April. Location should not affect order pickup; dealership allocation should also not affect order pickup. If a retail customer places an order with Ford, it should be scheduled with all other retail orders placed on that day, in chronological order. If orders were scheduled in chronological order for my situation, I would be getting the vehicle which I ordered and which Ford originally agreed to build (back in January). However, that isn't the case and thought I've been waiting patiently for them to uphold their end of the agreement and build the vehicle which they agreed to build when they accepted the order. It is not unreasonable to expect them to not accept orders which have options which they do not have the parts readily available to allocate to that specific build. But this is not the case here...

Like Cosmicshrimp said, sometimes it just helps to vent about it. But sometimes (rarely) venting/complaining about this stuff allows for voices to be heard and highlights that something was done that is not acceptable to society. Sometimes it helps to make this clear to those in power who make decisions on this stuff...in this case, maybe (doubtful) that those at Ford who were involved in making some of these decisions will hear through the grapevine that customers aren't happy about some of these actions and realize that hey, we mishandled this and we should really make some changes here, and do things a little differently.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I do sympathize. A better analogy is when you order food and the waiter returns and tells you they're out of the side dishes you ordered. You can either cancel the order or accept the alternate dishes. If you accept the sides then go on Yelp to complain why would anyone care? Take the issue up with management. But that's just me. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Interesting experiences and have to be honest that I didn't read all of the threads, but certainly understand the waiting game.. I am in the same boat... ordered an ST early June... status reflects "In production"... now waiting confirmation on the "Build"... hopefully I'll take delivery before 2023... :) at least I'll save a little on Massachusetts excise tax... not sure if its worth touching base with my dealer (again)... I don't think the dealerships can do anything to help prioritize customer orders... patiently waiting.... (BTW, new to the forum)..

OP
Cosmicshrimp

Cosmicshrimp

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #20
Interesting experiences and have to be honest that I didn't read all of the threads, but certainly understand the waiting game.. I am in the same boat... ordered an ST early June... status reflects "In production"... now waiting confirmation on the "Build"... hopefully I'll take delivery before 2023... :) at least I'll save a little on Massachusetts excise tax... not sure if its worth touching base with my dealer (again)... I don't think the dealerships can do anything to help prioritize customer orders... patiently waiting.... (BTW, new to the forum)..
Hello and welcome! :)

Definitely the most stressful waiting game haha. I emailed my salesperson and his manager told him that my build week should be the first week of September. So hopefully not much more of a wait for either of us!