Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mustang Wheels?

Reactions
So I decided to keep my ST and finally plan on doing some cosmetic stuff. I remember reading a thread a long time ago on here about folks using Mustang wheels (specifically RTRs if i recall correctly). For the life of me I can't find that thread. What is the proper size/offset to run a Mustang style wheel? are they S550 fitment or s197?

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Most Mustang wheels don’t have the best offset…that’s why people have moved away from using them. There are many properly fitting options available now that weren’t in the early days.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Makes sense, I'd love to go with Velgens just not sure I want to spend that kind of money on my daily. Are there any good budget friendly wheels you'd recommend? I like the split 5 spoke (fr500-ish looking) style. Also not opposed to a true 5 spoke.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Check out Vossen. I think they have some budget friendly options in a 10.5 wide +30 offset now.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Will do, thank you sir! Digging the audio install by the way!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Me and 1, maybe 2 others here have S550 Mustang RTR Tech 5, 20x9.5, +33. As @UNBROKEN said there weren't as many options in the "perfect fit" category in 2020 as there are now. Yes, I wish they were 10 or 10.5, +30. But with that being said, I'm still happy with them. I wanted 20s because I like fat sidewalls, I love the look, the fitment is pretty good, they are light, and the price is great.

SO yes, we have the same bolt pattern as a Mustang, but that's not the best place to look. I wasn't specifically looking for Mustang wheels, there are too many bad options. Since UNBROKEN has long since given us the "code" for the best fitment it's easier to use those numbers and find something that fits your style and budget rather than scouring CJ Pony Parts or American Muscle.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Makes sense for sure. I like the look of 20s as well (as well as the slightly cheaper tire options lol). I'll def have to start looking around to see what I can find. I appreciate the help guys... first thing first, Lethal springs.

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2022 Mach1 with these wheels, I wonder how they would work using only the 19x10 fronts the offset is +35 what do you think?
Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 09-26-38 SVE Mustang MHP1 Wheel - 19x10 - Gloss Graphite (05-23).png

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Offset it a bit low, mine are +33 and would be better at +30. Tire size is probably limited in something 30ish tall and a 19" wheel, you'd need like a 275/55-19.

traxiii

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yep, but I don't think a 275 would be wide enough for that 10" wheel, probably needs at least 295. After playing around on tirerack it's a No Go, nobody makes a 295/50/19 in a style that would work on an ST. Bummer, I would love to have them on mine.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@traxiii There are plenty of other 20" Mustang wheels that will work. Unfortunately, they just won't match your Mach 1. Maybe someone makes a replica of this style in 20s?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
You may also want to consider the weight rating of the wheels - several of the Mustang wheels I looked at were not rated for the much heavier Explorer.