Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Must Haves - Tools and Supplies for ST

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST 2022
I read a thread that had links to trinkets/knick knacks that folks used that I thought was very helpful. Recently picked up my ST as well as a home with a garage. Never had a garage or a car worth taking care of!

Hoping to get some additional insights from the group based around Tools and Supplies that have been must haves for your STs. Nothings too small or too big.

Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The big question is do you have a lot of tools and have you worked on cars/trucks before? I have a huge tool collection but still found a few I was missing... they are:

Spring Compressor
Sockets above 19mm
Box end wrenches above 19mm

Depending on what you plan on doing you will need different tools like 7mm, 8mm, and 10mm if you want to take the front bumper off to do an intercooler. You will need a spring compressor and larger sockets if you are doing springs or sway bar. Exhaust is exhaust... and if you want to do emblems you will need dental floss and something to pry the rear one off without scratching the paint. The front one will either need to be drilled out (someone on here figured that one out... Genius!) or replace it when the bumper is off for the intercooler...

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
spring compressor is the one no one will have,lol I need one right now. I will be hitting up auto zone this weekend for one to use.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have needed it twice in my life but just bought one off of Amazon for like $25... You can obviously rent it from a parts store.

OP
Ignatius_ST
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST 2022
Thread Starter #5
The big question is do you have a lot of tools and have you worked on cars/trucks before? I have a huge tool collection but still found a few I was missing... they are:

Spring Compressor
Sockets above 19mm
Box end wrenches above 19mm

Depending on what you plan on doing you will need different tools like 7mm, 8mm, and 10mm if you want to take the front bumper off to do an intercooler. You will need a spring compressor and larger sockets if you are doing springs or sway bar. Exhaust is exhaust... and if you want to do emblems you will need dental floss and something to pry the rear one off without scratching the paint. The front one will either need to be drilled out (someone on here figured that one out... Genius!) or replace it when the bumper is off for the intercooler...
Thanks for the response. Yeah I don't see myself using a spring compressor anytime soon, but the sockets and wrenches are a good call out. No previous experience working on cars/trucks so the safest thing for me in the list so far was the dental floss!

Thanks again!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST