Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Muffler flex seams having a leak...

Tolum

Reactions
Hi guys I'm earing strange vibrations when slowing down to a STOP sign since a year now. This winter when using the remote start, I got carbon smells inside the car when getting in. This afternoon, when looking under my car this is what I saw. Sounds normal to you? Muffler.jpg

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not normal but the flex pipes are an issue. If you have warranty they should take care of it. Good luck.

OP
T

Tolum

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Dealer ordered needed parts. Not first time he sees that on an ST. Don't know when they will get it due to possible parts shortage... Will keep you ported.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
If it is a 2020 ST you will need to make sure that they replace the left side catalytic converter. This needs to be replaced on most of them. I had exhaust fumes in mine also. Dealer can expedite getting parts using the right procedure.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
If it is a 2020 ST you will need to make sure that they replace the left side catalytic converter. This needs to be replaced on most of them. I had exhaust fumes in mine also. Dealer can expedite getting parts using the right procedure.
I agree. I have a 2020 as well and ended up installing after market flex pipes on mine thinking it was cause. This eliminated the rattle but made the exhaust smell worse. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the catalytic converter stating that it was part of a recall.

OP
T

Tolum

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Got the recall 1st letter for the catalytic converter but letter says parts will be available first quarter of 2022... We are near end of 1st quarter and still no news. Maybe my dealer will look at it when he will work on the flex replacement...

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Got the recall 1st letter for the catalytic converter but letter says parts will be available first quarter of 2022... We are near end of 1st quarter and still no news. Maybe my dealer will look at it when he will work on the flex replacement...
I just happened to be in for an oil change last week so I stopped to talk with my service advisor about this. Still no update on this so far so keep on waiting. Lucky for me it;s not an issue so far.