Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend vs Full Synthetic, or Something else?

Which oil are you going to use in your ST?

• Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend (OEM Recommended)

• Motorcraft 5W-30 Full Synthetic

• AMS OIL Signature Series 5W-30 Full Synthetic

• Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 Full Synthetic

• Something Else?

Results are only viewable after voting.

j1980mac

Reactions
New Aviator owner (same 3.0 TT V-6). Coming from BMW where oil tolerances and specifications are very particular, it does't seem that way with FoMoCo.

I see that Motorcraft synthetic blend is recommended, but seems to me like a bare minimum especially when you start pushing more boost, timing etc.

Which oil type/brand does everyone use or plan on using for their Ecobeast?

Reactions
Mobil1 is my preferred full synthetic brand

OP
j1980mac

j1980mac

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Mobil1 is my preferred full synthetic brand
Thanks for your vote. Which Mobile1 type? There are several.

I added the 2019 Lincoln Continental (3.0 TT V-6) to the vehicle search for "My Vehicles" because they didn't have the 2020 Explorer ST or Aviator as options in the Mobile1 oil selector.

Last edited:
Reactions
I read an article some time ago where the argument was made for synthetic blended oils. Synthetic for flow properties and dinosaurs for varying molecule sizing for better cushioning. I'll run it for now but usually run Mobil 1.

OP
j1980mac

j1980mac

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
OP
j1980mac

j1980mac

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I've been debating AMS Oil vs Mobile1.

I know that AMS oil is superior to all other oils out there. Testing shows this to be true, however, Mobile1 is a more available option, and it's everywhere. Personally I think changing oil and filter every 5k is the way to go.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
They're both great oil and either one would be fine. I agree with you Mobile1 is much easier to buy locally.

I've been debating AMS Oil vs Mobile1.

I know that AMS oil is superior to all other oils out there. Testing shows this to be true, however, Mobile1 is a more available option, and it's everywhere. Personally I think changing oil and filter every 5k is the way to go.

OP
j1980mac

j1980mac

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I just had the local Ford dealer change out the original oil (650 miles). I went with Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic. This will be my oil for the life of the vehicle. 5k intervals.

Instantly the engine seems much less labored than before! Sounds smoother as well.