Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Moonroof Tint

MikeS.

Reactions
I want to tint the panoramic moonroof so I can keep the shade open and not have the sun beating on me when it's high in the sky. My tint shop tinted my front windows and a strip along the visor, but would not tint the moonroof. They said tint could actually cause the glass to crack over time. I researched this online. A bunch of sites say you can do it, and a bunch say you can't. I was hoping for an overwhelming majority of web sites leaning to one side or the other to help me make up my mind, but I still am not sure. Any insights??

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Everything I buy gets 50% ceramic on the sunroof. I’ve had zero issues across multiple vehicles.

Reactions
I had the moonroof done and so far no issues

Reactions
I had tint installed as well, 3M 20%. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Xpel XR+ 20% Ceramic here since the first day I owned it. Never had any issues or ever heard of this before in my life.

KegsBdry

Reactions
That tint shop might be lacking the skill set. I got around to getting my moon roof tinted. And it is far better, especially the sun beating down on you.

Reactions
That tint shop might be lacking the skill set. I got around to getting my moon roof tinted. And it is far better, especially the sun beating down on you.
Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SJP

Reactions
Xpel XR+ 20% Ceramic here since the first day I owned it. Never had any issues or ever heard of this before in my life.
I'm considering this tint, do you have a pic of your ride? I know there's some factory tint already on the st, did you go 20% over it all around?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I'm considering this tint, do you have a pic of your ride? I know there's some factory tint already on the st, did you go 20% over it all around?
Tint is always measured ignoring the factory tint, so yes. The pics below are XPEL XR+ 20% all the way around except for front side windows those were revised to 5% since the initial install because the factory tint on those two windows is lighter, and the gradient between the front and the back was a bit too much to my tastes. 20% looked good just not quite dark enough. the windshield is 70%.

IMG_2361.JPG IMG_2362.JPG IMG_2370.JPG

SJP

Reactions
Tint is always measured ignoring the factory tint, so yes. The pics below are XPEL XR+ 20% all the way around except for front side windows those were revised to 5% since the initial install because the factory tint on those two windows is lighter, and the gradient between the front and the back was a bit too much to my tastes. 20% looked good just not quite dark enough. the windshield is 70%.

View attachment 9377 View attachment 9378 View attachment 9379
Hell yeah! Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@zdubyadubya - Nice! you are not too far away, who is your tint shop (if you don't mind sharing)?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST