Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mishimoto's Explorer ST Catch Can R&D Thread

Reactions
Hey Guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto! I know there's been some talk about catch cans around here and I just wanted to drop some info about our kit in here, straight from the source! Make sure you check out our full development process on our Engineering Blog

SOUL TRANSPLANT – 2020+ FORD EXPLORER ST BAFFLED OIL CATCH CAN R&D

The news of the departing Ford hatchbacks left a hole in many enthusiast’s hearts. For us here in the States, that means no more compact speed demons, finished with bulging bucket seats and manual gearboxes. The balance of power and practicality bearing the blue oval is gone. Or is it?
Enter the Explorer ST. Ford didn’t delete the ST line. They just matured it a bit and crammed the essence of a hot hatchback into a full-sized, family-friendly SUV. It’s a combination that shouldn’t work, but the 400 hp and surprisingly nimble handling is sure to fill the void left by the hot-hatches departure.

No matter the vehicle segment, however, any and all internal combustion engines suffer from the same nasty side-effect – blow-by, Explorer ST included. To put it simply, blow-by is when oil and fuel droplets are mixed in with recycled crankcase pressure. Some combustion gasses make their way past the piston rings during the power stroke and pressurize the crankcase. In the olden days, this pressure was relieved by venting to the atmosphere, which spewed harmful emissions, not to mention slick oil on the roads. Now, though, this pressure is routed and recycled through the intake via the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system, fuel, and oil, and all. The blow-by mixture will collect on the engine’s intake components, specifically the intake valves, resulting in sticky carbon buildup, which detracts from the sport part of your sport utility vehicle. For a more in-depth look at blow-by, make sure you check out our full tech article: Blow-By 101: What is Blow-By and How to Keep it from Ruining your Engine
Also if you're already on the hunt for a catch can kit for your Explorer, our kit is on presale right now! Make sure that you hurry, though since this introductory price will only be around for a limited time:

BAFFLED OIL CATCH CAN KIT, FITS FORD EXPLORER ST 2020+

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

Last edited:
Reactions
Will this work for a aftermarket intake and how much?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I hope someone can answer a question for me- As you're driving down the road, I can see that one is using vacuum in the intake (partially closed throttle plates) to create a low pressure area to evacuate the crankcase. However, once the turbos spool up that low pressure source is now unavailable. Coincidentally, this is exactly when one would expect the most blow-by to occur. So, is there something I'm missing as to another low-pressure source? Such as in the airbox between the compressor intake and the air filter? I can imagine a check valve in the system somewhere, but is it in the kit, or does the ST already have provisions for this on the stock crankcase evac system?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I hope someone can answer a question for me- As you're driving down the road, I can see that one is using vacuum in the intake (partially closed throttle plates) to create a low pressure area to evacuate the crankcase. However, once the turbos spool up that low pressure source is now unavailable. Coincidentally, this is exactly when one would expect the most blow-by to occur. So, is there something I'm missing as to another low-pressure source? Such as in the airbox between the compressor intake and the air filter? I can imagine a check valve in the system somewhere, but is it in the kit, or does the ST already have provisions for this on the stock crankcase evac system?
Every single catch can on the market still lets vapors back into the intake no matter what they say…and it’s exactly because of how you described it. On my blown F150 I completely deleted the PCV and used a VTA can…that’s the only way to 100% stop it.
These are all “feel good” mods…although I have the UPR can myself.

Reactions
When no negative pressure is available such as with wide open throttle, you’re right, the check valve closes and nothing gets pulled from the crankcase. There are other brands though that use the intake tube vacuum to take over at that point. I also have the UPR can which does have the WOT line coming from the intake tube.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Will this work for a aftermarket intake and how much?
Which intake are you running? So far we can only confirm fitment on the OEM intake.

As for the pricing, you can grab it on presale here: https://www.mishimoto.com/baffled-oil-catch-can-kit-ford-explorer-st-2020.html

Great question!

So in this particular setup there is a check valve within the PCV system to prevent boost pressures from entering the crankcase. So, under boost conditions, this valve closes on the PCV side, and crankcase ventilation is taken over by the CCV system which routes to a pre-turbo location on the intake system. We always investigate both the PCV and CCV systems when designing our catch can kits, especially when it comes to the EcoBoost platforms, but it's uncommon to see much blow-by routing through the CCV side of the ventilation system.

-Nick

Reactions
Which intake are you running? So far we can only confirm fitment on the OEM intake.
Also interested in this, as I have both the Mishimoto catch can and aFe Power Momentum GT intake on order.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Hey gang!

I just wanted to bump this thread up since we're running a contest to win a free catch can kit! Details below

Enter your information below to be entered for a chance to win a 2020+ Ford Explorer Catch Can Kit . This is your chance to win our latest catch can for your Explorer! This Giveaway is open to US residents and runs 1/5/2022 at 11:00 AM EST - 1/31/22 at 11:59 AM EST. No purchase necessary. One winner will be randomly selected and will be notified via email. Winner will win one Mishimoto 2020+ Ford Explorer Catch Can Kit with a total estimated retail value of $266.60. Click here for full terms and conditions.

https://www.mishimoto.com/explorercatchcan

By entering your information, you are opting in to receive emails from Mishimoto, including exclusive discounts and product releases (you can unsubscribe at any time). SMS messaging available only to U.S. residents.

-Nick

Reactions
Now that December AND January have passed, those of us that ordered would sure like to see those first. Nice to give one away, but paying customers would be happy to have theirs before a promotion like this goes up. Fingers crossed that February will see the pre-orders taken care of.

Reactions
Now that December AND January have passed, those of us that ordered would sure like to see those first. Nice to give one away, but paying customers would be happy to have theirs before a promotion like this goes up. Fingers crossed that February will see the pre-orders taken care of.
I tend to agree. The estimated shipping date has quietly slipped; would love an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I tend to agree. The estimated shipping date has quietly slipped; would love an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for the delay guys!

We're still waiting on some components to arrive at the warehouse which are currently mixed in with backlog at the port. We're doing everything that we can to get those pieces out to our warehouse!

-Nick

Reactions
Apologies for the delay guys!

We're still waiting on some components to arrive at the warehouse which are currently mixed in with backlog at the port. We're doing everything that we can to get those pieces out to our warehouse!

-Nick
Thanks for the update, Nick. Totally understanding that the delay appears to be out of your control: its been a couple weeks: do you have any more insight as to when these will ship?

The reason I ask is that I'm not super enthusiastic about driving my new ST without a catch can in place; depending on when these release, I may have to jump ship and purchase something else in stock.

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thanks for the update, Nick. Totally understanding that the delay appears to be out of your control: its been a couple weeks: do you have any more insight as to when these will ship?

The reason I ask is that I'm not super enthusiastic about driving my new ST without a catch can in place; depending on when these release, I may have to jump ship and purchase something else in stock.
Apologies for the delay! We're keeping a close eye on these components, and we're expecting them very soon!

-Nick

OP
Mishimoto
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Hey Guys!

Just another bump up to let you know that our kits have finally been inventoried and should be on their way to you now!

Thank you for following along with our development and for your patience through our shipping delays! We're looking forward to seeing these kits on your Explorers

-Nick

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Received mine yesterday! Thank you.

Reactions
Other than the slightly excessive wait, the kit looks and fit great. Very nice packaging, too. Slightly dirty engine bay, but happy with the OE look. Hope they sell very well.
BD65D28D-BCCA-4B05-99DE-DE7309094069.jpeg A7959F00-EE7A-44A2-9758-BB918E7AA5BD.jpeg

rnc

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How long did it take to install and did you run into any problems?

Reactions
How long did it take to install and did you run into any problems?
About 10 minutes, and that was only because it was a cool morning and my finger tips were a bit chilled. No problems at all - installing one is a cinch.

rnc

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks.