Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Mid-pipe replacement?

Magician

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
My ST has the exhaust rattle. I’ve spoken to the service tech and now I’m looking for a better way possibly to fix the rattling under the truck. Seems like there’s a lack of competent stainless welders in my area from more than one vendor has told me so now I’m looking to see if maybe something like Lethal Performance Mid-pipe would be a good solution and one that’s fairly straight forward and easy diy? Looking at the part it seems like it’s specifically for racing application and that’s not how I run my ST although its possible I might upgrade the exhaust system at some point down the road…

Am I thinking the right way or is there a better way maybe less expensive? I’ve seen others just replace the flex coupling with a Honda style but the Welder issue comes into play..

Reactions
The Lethal Mid-Pipes are direct bolt on and would solve your issue. I actually just ordered them and they are shipping now. They work for stock or catback aftermarket exhausts that begin at the factory mid pipe back (Borla, Corsa, MBRP, etc.)

Your other option as you stated is to buy 2 flex pipes (around 30-35 bucks each) and have the factory ones cut out and weld the aftermarket ones in place.

Reactions
I had the mrt h pipe installed yesterday, actually sounds fantastic. I had axle backs put on first and it wasn’t loud enough (for me). My daughter said (5 years old) “why is the st growling” ?❤️

Reactions
I tried to have a local shop install the Lethal mid pipes. Driver side went in with no issues. The passenger side however, was the exact same diameter as the end coming from the resonator (instead of being slightly smaller in diameter, so as to fit). For the time being I have the stock mid pipe still installed on the passenger side. :/ They were unable to expand the piece coming from the resonator to make the passenger mid pipe (from Lethal) fit.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I installed the Lethal about a month ago, The passenger side end seemed like it was the same size too but more likely the clamp on the stock mating end had compressed the pipe. I ended up renting a tailpipe expander from Autozone and then it fit no problem. That whole ordeal made install closer to an hour and a half instead of what should have been an easy 45 min. I would be surprised that a local shop couldnt get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions
I installed the Lethal about a month ago, The passenger side end seemed like it was the same size too but more likely the clamp on the stock mating end had compressed the pipe. I ended up renting a tailpipe expander from Autozone and then it fit no problem. That whole ordeal made install closer to an hour and a half instead of what should have been an easy 45 min. I would be surprized that a local shop couldnt get it done.
Appreciate it... that give me hope! :) This was a 'regular shop' at least to me. meaning they don't specialize in exhaust work. But I agree, was a little disappointed they couldn't do it (I don't think they had the proper tool).

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Reactions