Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Metallic gray replaced by carbonized gray

Reactions
This isn't big news and it's nearly a year old now that I've looked into it but I noticed recently that a new "carbonized gray" color for 2021 has replaced the metallic gray color offered with the first batch of 2020s. I think it looks terrific. It's lighter than the earlier metallic gray. Almost like a blend between the original metallic grey and the very light iconic silver.

I was considering between those two and ultimately chose gray, but there are times I think it's too dark and if I was re-ordering today or choosing between metallic and carbonized I would probably go with the carbonized. I have a few friends who constantly say "here comes the state trooper" when I pull up. They mean well and I half smile but I'm actually a little tired of hearing it ( I know...I know... First World Problems). It's true though, most PD explorers are in the metallic gray color. It's a double-edged sword: that's partly why everyone gets out of my way on the highway or on regular roads I'm stuck behind them doing exactly the speed limit.

It's interesting that metallic gray is no longer an option. Maybe this is overthinking or conspiratorial but the recent switch to the lighter carbonized got me wondering if PDs have pushed Ford to keep metallic exclusive to the PD interceptors. Or other way around; if Ford thought they needed to differentiate their civilian Explorers from the PD interceptors. Or maybe PDs will also only have the carbonized gray option, but I only see them in metallic gray in central PA.

Anyway, small issue but I would be curious if there are any thoughts on the the color switch or if interceptor differentiation has anything to do with it.

Three photo examples below; first two of mine in bright and low light and a very nice example of carbonized from forum member named "hotelmrrsn" I found under the build projects sub forum.

1634579284277.jpeg

1634579350578.jpeg

1634579486730.png

Attachments

ShaunJ

Reactions
Had my carbonized gray for about a week now and I am thinking I should have gotten the base model because everyone drives so slow around me.

Reactions
Had my carbonized gray for about a week now and I am thinking I should have gotten the base model because everyone drives so slow around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Both those colors look great. I ultimately decided on iconic silver.
There’s no bad choices here.

Reactions
I ordered a carbonized gray. Dealer had a sold one on the lot in that color and I thought it looked great.

No bad choices though!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There is no bad color on a ST.