Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

MBRP 2.5” Cat-Back Exhaust Release

Reactions

The MBRP 2.5” catback exhaust seems to have just released. This video of it sounds pretty damn good too.

Opinions?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You asked...I think it sounds like hell. Way too high pitched and raspy. The end of the vid at WOT is terrible. And considering I’ve got quite a bit of experience with exhausts on these things I guarantee it has a 92Hz drone at 2000 rpm that will drive you crazy.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I agree that this will drone could pick it up on the interior cruising shots through the video. Would love to hear it in person though as videos don’t do any exhaust justice.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I agree that this will drone could pick it up on the interior cruising shots through the video. Would love to hear it in person though as videos don’t do any exhaust justice.
I listened to it on a laptop at home with some Sennheiser headphones and it’s not any better. lol

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I agree that this will drone could pick it up on the interior cruising shots through the video.
I listened to it on a laptop at home with some Sennheiser headphones and it’s not any better. lol
Haha

Reactions
So I was originally going to do a custom MBRP setup when I was looking for exhaust options....and I'm glad I didn't . Where I don't think this exhaust sounds bad , I do think it sounds like the rest . I know the setup created from the owner of the beaST is probably one of my favorites I have heard . I would love to recreate that on mine .

Reactions
High pitched and rasp is kind of a signature of anything with an X-pipe.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
High pitched and rasp is kind of a signature of anything with an X-pipe.
I have an X pipe in mine and it has neither of those things. In fact it’s so deep on a cold start it set off a car alarm next to me yesterday.

Reactions
Of course yours is the magic unicorn that bucks the trends of 40 years of X-pipe installations.... Congrats.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had an X-pipe on my 03 Cobra and it was neither high-pitched or raspy. My 13 Boss 302 with an H-pipe was far more raspy.

Both high flow cats and Borla S-Type mufflers with factory manifolds.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Of course yours is the magic unicorn that bucks the trends of 40 years of X-pipe installations.... Congrats.
I also have almost that long building my own exhaust systems...so I have an idea going in on what’s gonna happen. Please point out the high pitch or rasp...I’ll wait.

Attachments

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
....says the acoustical engineer of exhaust pipes. I swear, as this site has become more popular, it certainly seems to have attracted several incredibly talented engineers who also are completely uncivil. With an nearly infinite number of exhausts in lengths, volume, changes in diameter, differences in bank firing orders, etc- it's only an 'X' pipe that affects tone.

Reactions
....says the acoustical engineer of exhaust pipes. I swear, as this site has become more popular, it certainly seems to have attracted several incredibly talented engineers who also are completely uncivil. With an nearly infinite number of exhausts in lengths, volume, changes in diameter, differences in bank firing orders, etc- it's only an 'X' pipe that affects tone.
With more people coming aboard , you are always going to have those that are more opinionated than the majority . I don't think there's much to worry about . For the many years that I belonged to MBWorld and then FerrariChat , this is a walk in the park . Try going over to those sites and posting your modification claims :rolleyes:

Reactions
also.....what is everyone's idea of high pitched ? is the GTR considered high pitched ?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
also.....what is everyone's idea of high pitched ? is the GTR considered high pitched ?
It certainly CAN be in some setups.... but when I think high pitched good sounding turbo v-6 i think alfa quadrifoglio or AMG C43

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
These ST’s really like some tube diameter...it knocks the tone down really low. 3” sounds awesome and with the right mufflers there’s zero rasp at all.

Reactions
It certainly CAN be in some setups.... but when I think high pitched good sounding turbo v-6 i think alfa quadrifoglio or AMG C43
C43...I'm not real sure about . Quadrifoglio sounds a lot better .

5:10 - 7:10 sounds incredible IMHO

Reactions
99.9% of the people on this site couldn't tell me the difference between GMAW and GTAW, without google, much less actually do it...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
99.9% of the people on this site couldn't tell me the difference between GMAW and GTAW, without google, much less actually do it...
MIG and TIG...I’m a welder also in addition to many other things. What does that have to do with the way an exhaust sounds?

Reactions
These ST’s really like some tube diameter...it knocks the tone down really low. 3” sounds awesome and with the right mufflers there’s zero rasp at all.
whats your set up?