Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Loud metal on metal sound on front driver's side

JaelynnS

Reactions
Has anyone had any issues with their ST making a loud (screeching) like metal on metal while driving? It was happening moving forward and in reverse. I had to have my car towed to the dealership - typical answers from the technician that they can not duplicate the issue. Update today was that they heard it but can't get it to do it again. They have no idea what it is so they are reaching out to Ford. They will not check the brakes, bearings etc. unless they can duplicate the noise. Just curious if others have had this issue.

TexaST

Reactions
Interesting - a day or two after I bought mine earlier this month, I noticed a metal on metal noise on startup when cold. I’m scheduled to take it into the dealer on Monday to get a loaner while the dealership addresses it. I was at my brother’s today. showing him my ST and noticed a crossmember loose below what appears to be the transfer case. A bolt is missing and the part is moving freely beneath the vehicle. I’m wondering if this is the metal on metal noise I was hearing. Let me know if you were able to resolve your noise. Happy Thanksgiving! 3387EB5C-41B2-42DB-97F7-44EB6A37BF25.jpeg

Reactions
Interesting - a day or two after I bought mine earlier this month, I noticed a metal on metal noise on startup when cold. I’m scheduled to take it into the dealer on Monday to get a loaner while the dealership addresses it. I was at my brother’s today. showing him my ST and noticed a crossmember loose below what appears to be the transfer case. A bolt is missing and the part is moving freely beneath the vehicle. I’m wondering if this is the metal on metal noise I was hearing. Let me know if you were able to resolve your noise. Happy Thanksgiving! View attachment 2695
Wow, I am astonished that they sent the vehicle like this out of the factory, what kind of quality check are they doing?