Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Looking to purchase 2020 ST

Zero7ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2018 mustang 2020 ST
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a used 2020 Explorer ST this summer with 50k miles or less. I am coming from a 2014 big turbo focus st, and currently own a 2018 mustang 5.0. I want to replace my dying chevy cruze with a fun, reliable, roomy, fast daily driver and the explorer ST checks all the boxes. As I go down the rabbit hole researching the explorer I am seeing some concerns starting with reliability. I read a lot of issues with the 10 speed which is weird, I have it in my mustang and it bangs out the gear fairly well. Reading about timing chain failures, exhaust leaking, trans shutter, center console vibrations felt throughout etc.

The user reviews also appear to not treat the vehicle to well with lots of 1 star reviews and a over all of rating of 3.2/5 (24% giving one star) on edmonds. I am really gunning for the ST as there is nothing really that comes close to in in the price point aside from a SQ5, and I don't want to deal with expensive maintenance.

From its enthusiast user group how would you rate your experiences?
Would you make the purchase again?
Advice for a new buyer?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
First off Welcome to the forum.

So the 2020s had some problems at launch, and recalls have so far fixed them. I'd recommend getting a ESP on newer vehicles, and definitely recommend getting one on an ST. We had an ST for about a year as a company car, and I can't stop thinking about it, it leaves that big of an impression. My experience is 4/5.

OP
Z

Zero7ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2018 mustang 2020 ST
Thread Starter #3
Hey there, thanks for the welcome!

Appreciate your advice, what is a ESP?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Hey there, thanks for the welcome!

Appreciate your advice, what is a ESP?
Extended Service Plan. Old way of saying extending warranty from 3 years to 5 or 10 years.

OP
Z

Zero7ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2018 mustang 2020 ST
Thread Starter #5
Ah gotcha, thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Good luck with the research and decision.
I was never a ford owner till my last car that was a ‘17 Fusion Sport. Loved that car, was insanely reliable and made me a ford guy for sure. I’m only a year into owning the ST and couldn’t be happier.

Granted a forum or internet search is always going to bring the negative to the top first. People don’t go out of their way to voice admiration and pleasure about stuff. They vent problems and frustration.

You get the vehicle options and features for your price range I feel like that’s going to be a fun time any day of the week. Good luck!

OP
Z

Zero7ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2018 mustang 2020 ST
Thread Starter #7
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I know going into researching it I would only view the problems. Like you said, people don't go online to type about how much they love something nearly as often as they will to complain about something. The biggest thing that got me was the edmonds reviews, as some vehicles (golf r example) was have very positive reviews. Any members with a 2020 that have gone through the recall process for some the initial launch issues active on the forum??

KegsBdry

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a used 2020 Explorer ST this summer with 50k miles or less. I am coming from a 2014 big turbo focus st, and currently own a 2018 mustang 5.0. I want to replace my dying chevy cruze with a fun, reliable, roomy, fast daily driver and the explorer ST checks all the boxes. As I go down the rabbit hole researching the explorer I am seeing some concerns starting with reliability. I read a lot of issues with the 10 speed which is weird, I have it in my mustang and it bangs out the gear fairly well. Reading about timing chain failures, exhaust leaking, trans shutter, center console vibrations felt throughout etc.

The user reviews also appear to not treat the vehicle to well with lots of 1 star reviews and a over all of rating of 3.2/5 (24% giving one star) on edmonds. I am really gunning for the ST as there is nothing really that comes close to in in the price point aside from a SQ5, and I don't want to deal with expensive maintenance.

Advice for a new buyer?

You should ONLY buy a 2020. If I read this forum correctly, it has 22 extra add-ons that was not possible on later models to to COVID supply line issues. Go for it! The bang for buck cannot be matched!

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You should ONLY buy a 2020. If I read this forum correctly, it has 22 extra add-ons that was not possible on later models to to COVID supply line issues. Go for it! The bang for buck cannot be matched!
I love my 2020. The issues with mine have been pretty minor and it has all the bells and whistles.

OP
Z

Zero7ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2018 mustang 2020 ST
Thread Starter #10
Oh wow, I wasn't aware of this? Does anyone have a list of these add ons?

I love my 2020. The issues with mine have been pretty minor and it has all the bells and whistles.
That's awesome to hear, how long have you owned the vehicle?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Oh wow, I wasn't aware of this? Does anyone have a list of these add ons?

That's awesome to hear, how long have you owned the vehicle?
Since Feb 2020. Low miles on it though.

2 repairs so far both under recalls.
1. Blue screen 1 time, non since the recall was done.
2. Replaced cracked left cat under recall about a month ago.

Last edited:

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I think you will be able to find some 2020 STs in great shape. Many people like to trade in every 3 years or so. If buying from a dealer, call the previous owner before completing the purchase to see if there are any known issues. Price range should be around mid $30K.

hbalek

Reactions
I think you will be able to find some 2020 STs in great shape. Many people like to trade in every 3 years or so. If buying from a dealer, call the previous owner before completing the purchase to see if there are any known issues. Price range should be around mid $30K.
Definitely go CPO or buy a Ford Protect Premium Care Plan. I have had mine over 3 years now and have bought the warranty. Just today I took photos of my CV boots and both are leaking grease and have to be replaced. Just barely 4 weeks outside of the bumper to bumper warranty with 35,000 miles. Hopefully all I have to pay is the $100 deductible. So far in 3 years, I've had my transmission rebuilt, fuel pump, battery, rear glass, rear camera, catalytic converter and driver's seat side panel replaced. Those were all done free of charge under 3 year warranty. Durability and build quality are the poorest of any Ford product I've owned and this is my 5th one. Overall I still love this vehicle and know that trading it in, I'd get a lesser vehicle with a higher price than when I purchased it new in 2019. At that time they were giving $8,000 discounts off the MSRP.

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zero7ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2018 mustang 2020 ST
Thread Starter #14
Definitely go CPO or buy a Ford Protect Premium Care Plan. I have had mine over 3 years now and have bought the warranty. Just today I took photos of my CV boots and both are leaking grease and have to be replaced. Just barely 4 weeks outside of the bumper to bumper warranty with 35,000 miles. Hopefully all I have to pay is the $100 deductible. So far in 3 years, I've had my transmission rebuilt, fuel pump, battery, rear glass, rear camera, catalytic converter and driver's seat side panel replaced. Those were all done free of charge under 3 year warranty. Durability and build quality are the poorest of any Ford product I've owned and this is my 5th one. Overall I still love this vehicle and know that trading it in, I'd get a lesser vehicle with a higher price than when I purchased it new in 2019. At that time they were giving $8,000 discounts off the MSRP.
Dam wow, that is quite the repair list. You pretty much listed every known defect that I have been reading about! Thanks for taking the time to list them!

Thats what I am hoping for!

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Advice for a new buyer?
I have a 2020 that I may be looking to sell around then. I drive it 8 miles a day, it currently has 16 thousand miles on it. Besides some cosmetic add ons , it has a steeda Brace, mbrp axle back exhaust and a 93 zfg tune. Send me a message when your ready.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
Dam wow, that is quite the repair list. You pretty much listed every known defect that I have been reading about! Thanks for taking the time to list them!

Thats what I am hoping for!
The only major ones I didn't have are the transmission cooler leak, smoke on cold start and the window switch chrome peeling! LOL

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Hi everyone,

Advice for a new buyer?
I have a 2020 and have only had a minor issues also that have been corrected. The 2020"s definitely have more bells and whistles than the newer models. Love mine wouldn't trade it for anything.