Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Looking for fuel mileage advice...

Reactions
I have a '21 ST and my fuel mileage is poor in the city. I've tried driving it in both ECO and Normal mode and also use premium fuel but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I get between and 18 and 19 mpg. Also, the miles to empty is never consistent after I fill up. Any advise/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There isn't anything you can do to greatly impact your fuel mileage. If you're just trying to save money, opt for the 89 octane fuel, make sure your air filter is clean, stay in ECO mode, and keep your foot out of it.
As far as the predicted miles to empty, that's just based on the estimated recent mpg and estimated fuel in the tank.

F=MA

Reactions
ZFG E50 on the highway at 84 mph with 20 mph tailwind is 14.5 mpg with 20 mph head wind it is 13.5 mpg. Around town its in the same range. 295/40/22 Pirelli Asimmetrico. Even stock it was only about 16 mpg mixed driving City/Freeway.

Last edited:
Reactions
The only way to significantly improve fuel economy is to get a different vehicle/engine.

Reactions
Hi,
I have a 2020 ST with 14,000 km on it and my fuel economy has ranged from 32 mpg to 16 mpg. It is stock and I use 91 octane, no ethanol. The best milage of 32 mpg was a 500 mile trip on rural 2 lane at 55 mph, in eco mode and driving like I had a fish bowl on the passenger seat. Worst milage is/was city driving in sport mode and leaving every green light full throttle. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ron

Reactions
Something I have been thinking about for those of us in the south, in Houston during the summer ambient will be 90°-100° it has shown the car will heat soak easily after a pull with 70° ambient what are the chances the charge temps are high enough when ambient is near 100° that it starts to add fuel to lower temps in the engine thus hurting the fuel economy?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Something I have been thinking about for those of us in the south, in Houston during the summer ambient will be 90°-100° it has shown the car will heat soak easily after a pull with 70° ambient what are the chances the charge temps are high enough when ambient is near 100° that it starts to add fuel to lower temps in the engine thus hurting the fuel economy?
The hotter air is less dense- therefore it actually uses less fuel to compensate. It's always trying to be at a stoichiometric ratio. Forget trying to make better gas mileage. If you're worried about gas mileage, stay away from sport mode which doesn't disengage clutches and lock-up converter to maximize engine braking- stay in ECO. As I posted earlier, keep air filter clean. For a 2 1/2 ton SUV with 400 hp, mpg is pretty damn good.

Reactions
The hotter air is less dense- therefore it actually uses less fuel to compensate. It's always trying to be at a stoichiometric ratio. Forget trying to make better gas mileage. If you're worried about gas mileage, stay away from sport mode which doesn't disengage clutches and lock-up converter to maximize engine braking- stay in ECO. As I posted earlier, keep air filter clean. For a 2 1/2 ton SUV with 400 hp, mpg is pretty damn good.
I know what these are capable of when driven with fuel economy in mind :) This was leaving from Asheville headed back to Houston and driving through Atlanta at 1 pm..... The ST hyper miles extremely well if you know what your doing, the 30 mpg avg was on two lane "mountain" roads headed out of Asheville

1642635721644.png

1642635748021.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I know what these are capable of when driven with fuel economy in mind :) This was leaving from Asheville headed back to Houston and driving through Atlanta at 1 pm..... The ST hyper miles extremely well if you know what your doing, the 30 mpg avg was on two lane "mountain" roads headed out of Asheville

View attachment 9484

View attachment 9485
To get that kinda mileage, are you using cruise or managing the throttle yourself?

Reactions
To get that kinda mileage, are you using cruise or managing the throttle yourself?
Using my foot the computer will not be able to do that. When the cruise is set and you drive up a hill it adds throttle to maintain your set speed because that's all it knows how to do.

Reactions
I have a '21 ST and my fuel mileage is poor in the city. I've tried driving it in both ECO and Normal mode and also use premium fuel but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I get between and 18 and 19 mpg. Also, the miles to empty is never consistent after I fill up. Any advise/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
You are getting what the vehicle is advertised as, So this is not poor mileage....In all Honestly 18/19MPG in the city is great considering the size of the SUV and the 400HP under the hood. My friend only gets 20mpg city in his 2021 Toyota Highlander which is a comparable size SUV.

Reactions
18/19 in city driving is not bad actually, especially considering you have a 400hp 3-row SUV. Stop and go absolutely kills mileage.

FNTony496

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Atlas Blue ST

View attachment 9484

View attachment 9485
Awesome #'s! What brand and/or octane fuel did you use while getting these #'s?