Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Look for ambient light kit

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
As most of you guys know that the 2022 doesn't have ambient interior light.

What is the best aftermarket kit to install? Or maybe install the 2020 ambient interior light into the 2022.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It does have it though. It was only removed in the cupholders. Which from stories, they can fail at anytime with too much moisture exposure. So no huge loss. I still would install it if I could. But the rest is the ambient lighting is all still there.

OP
Stone17
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
It does have it though. It was only removed in the cupholders. Which from stories, they can fail at anytime with too much moisture exposure. So no huge loss. I still would install it if I could. But the rest is the ambient lighting is all still there.
My ST does not have the ambient interior light but I got the base model.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My ST does not have the ambient interior light but I got the base model.
Yeah that’s it. If you get the 401a package, you get the lights. But the 22 STs do have the lighting.

Michael Grasso

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco Badlands
+1 on the 401A. I have the ambient lighting.

Jerry M

Reactions
I have the ambient lighting in my 2022 ST, but it's not nearly as bright as it was on my 2013 Edge Sport. Any remedy for that???

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
On my 22 F-150 lariat, the cup holder ambient lights were also deleted. I purchased a set of 21 platinum cup holders from Varsity Ford and they had the ambient lights installed in the cup holders. However, this also required a harness to plug them into, as the wiring going to the cupholders was also deleted.

I would imagine you could do the same thing with the Explorers, I would look into either ST or Platinum level cup holders using a 2020 part number. The you would still likely have to build a wiring harness for it as well.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have the ambient lighting in my 2022 ST, but it's not nearly as bright as it was on my 2013 Edge Sport. Any remedy for that???
Make sure the brightness slider is up all the way. Also, could just be because the ST has more screens up front with more brightness, which would make the ambient lighting appear less bright.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Might be an obvious one, but have you checked the dimmer to verify it is turned up all the way?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
On my 22 F-150 lariat, the cup holder ambient lights were also deleted. I purchased a set of 21 platinum cup holders from Varsity Ford and they had the ambient lights installed in the cup holders. However, this also required a harness to plug them into, as the wiring going to the cupholders was also deleted.

I would imagine you could do the same thing with the Explorers, I would look into either ST or Platinum level cup holders using a 2020 part number. The you would still likely have to build a wiring harness for it as well.
So the dealer added the wiring harness?

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
So the dealer added the wiring harness?
Negative, there was a guy I met on the F-150 forums that is local to me that builds and installs the harness.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Negative, there was a guy I met on the F-150 forums that is local to me that builds and installs the harness.
Oh gotcha. I’m sure it’s very similar if not identical to the explorer. I just think the F150 is much popular so you have more people involved. Haven’t seen anyone pop out the console area on the explorer. I actually installed some aftermarket light tubing to emulate the effect. It works for sure. Not as clean as factory installed but it gives the effect. I never felt comfortable just trying to take everything apart.

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Oh gotcha. I’m sure it’s very similar if not identical to the explorer. I just think the F150 is much popular so you have more people involved. Haven’t seen anyone pop out the console area on the explorer. I actually installed some aftermarket light tubing to emulate the effect. It works for sure. Not as clean as factory installed but it gives the effect. I never felt comfortable just trying to take everything apart.
I'm willing to be the connectors are the same, and the wiring pinning is probably the same, but I've never made a wiring harness and I didn't actually do any of the install lol. Mechanical stuff I can do all day long,. I am lost when it comes to electrical, but I am learning