Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Liftgate won't close

Reactions
So I stopped my liftgate from opening all the way when I was under a carport that I'm not normally under and I didn't want it to hit, and now my liftgate won't close automatically. If I press any button to close it, it just sits there and chimes at me. I have to manually close it now.

Anyone know how to fix?

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
Tried doing a battery reset (Negative terminal off for 30 seconds) still doing the same thing.

And OMFG who thought of hiding the battery in that shithole? Fords... I swear to god man.... lol my first one... On the bright side at least it looks like an AGM battery, so I won't have to dig it out as often.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If I stop mine during it's opening or closing cycle it does the same thing. I close it manually and next time it will usually work normally.

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Well shit I hope I didn't break something.

cmauro9

Reactions
Mine is intermittently doing that same thing. Sometimes it won’t respond at all with the fob, button on the dash or the under bumper sensor. It’s super annoying

hbalek

Reactions
Mine is intermittently doing that same thing. Sometimes it won’t respond at all with the fob, button on the dash or the under bumper sensor. It’s super annoying
Mine did this once when I was cleaning all the interior glass surfaces for a while. The rear hatch would not close using any of the buttons. Once I started the car up it started working fine again. I think it was some sort of battery saving feature.

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Hmm this sounds like a software bug or something. I'll try with the car running in park. Haven't tried that combo yet.

TomK

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Coming out of Costco last week, I opened the rear liftgate on my 2021 Exp ST and loaded the groceries. The liftgate opened fine, but would not close no matter what I tried. I finally had to close the liftgate manually by pushing it down to close. That has been that way until yesterday.
I spent every day since then researching and googling to find a solution. I even purchased Ford’s Service manual, thinking it was a wiring or mechanical problem.
My wife just told me yesterday about a woman on YouTube having the same problem with her 2020 Ford Expedition. She cleaned all the sensors around the liftgate and it started working again. I said, no way! That’s nonsense, nothing is ever that easy!
So, when my wife left my man-cave office, I took a fiber towel and a small bucket of water, ran outside and cleaned all the sensors around the liftgate.
Honest to God truth, that S.O.B. liftgate started working again! I said, no F*#$@n^ way! I tried 8 to 10 different times using all 4 ways of opening and closing the liftgate and it has worked every single time! Lol… Not telling my wife. I won’t hear the end of that one.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer limited 2021
Thank you for sharing this.
Very useful indeed. But the same problem recurs after two or three days, I think this is a manufacturing defect that is not befitting the Ford name.

Last edited:

TomK

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
There are 3 areas near your rear liftgate that have sensors. Two long strips on the inside of the tailgate and body (right and left side) and two strips “under” the rear bumper (right and left side). Sensors look like plastic strips held in by plastic buttons. Just clean them with a little soap & water like when you’re washing your truck and they should be fine. If after cleaning your sensors and you still have problems, then it’s probably not your sensors.

Attachments

Last edited:

apj1872

Reactions
Vehicle
2019 Ford Escape Titanium
Coming out of Costco last week, I opened the rear liftgate on my 2021 Exp ST and loaded the groceries. The liftgate opened fine, but would not close no matter what I tried. I finally had to close the liftgate manually by pushing it down to close. That has been that way until yesterday.
I spent every day since then researching and googling to find a solution. I even purchased Ford’s Service manual, thinking it was a wiring or mechanical problem.
My wife just told me yesterday about a woman on YouTube having the same problem with her 2020 Ford Expedition. She cleaned all the sensors around the liftgate and it started working again. I said, no way! That’s nonsense, nothing is ever that easy!
So, when my wife left my man-cave office, I took a fiber towel and a small bucket of water, ran outside and cleaned all the sensors around the liftgate.
Honest to God truth, that S.O.B. liftgate started working again! I said, no F*#$@n^ way! I tried 8 to 10 different times using all 4 ways of opening and closing the liftgate and it has worked every single time! Lol… Not telling my wife. I won’t hear the end of that one.
OMG- your solution worked! I tried to make an appointment to my Ford Dealer Service and all advisors were busy and started looking for solutions online. Thank God I stumbled upon your response. I actually just got a paper towel moistened with glass cleaner and immediately- problem solved. Thank you!

Alex58

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Did you
So I stopped my liftgate from opening all the way when I was under a carport that I'm not normally under and I didn't want it to hit, and now my liftgate won't close automatically. If I press any button to close it, it just sits there and chimes at me. I have to manually close it now.

Anyone know how to fix?
did you get this fixed , if so how ? None of the suggestions have helped my situation so far .

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
My liftgate will not close if the doors are locked, just chimes.