Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Liftgate keeps closing

Reactions
Maybe I have big feet... but I find that the automatic liftgate to be a pain in the butt. I bump the bumper and then thing starts to close on me. VERY frustrating. Anyway to turn off the auto detection?

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Somewhere in the on screen programming there's a choice to turn it off.

iBobFX4

Reactions
Same thing has happened to me multiple times. It seems to be very sensitive.

tc3driver

Reactions
I think they've bumped the sensitivity... my 16 rarely worked ... this one is over active...

hbalek

Reactions
Maybe it's because the deflector is missing??? Has anyone noticed a difference when it's installed? I'm still waiting for mine and mine is way to sensitive both opening and closing. I can quickly walk around the back and the liftgate opens and I haven't kicked under the bumper. A couple times it started closing on my head.

OP
ChristianGMoore
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Deflector? That is interesting.... mine just keeps pissing me off... if you turn it off, then you have to manually lift it don't you? I will give it a shot.

Reactions
We never use foot. Always button , either interior or exterior, and sometimes the fob. Played with it at first but quickly realized its completely unnecessary. We never turned it off, and have never had it try to close on us unwantingly. Is this feature even setup for closing? I thought it was to open only.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It both opens and closes the tailgate. At least it's supposed to.

hbalek

Reactions
Mine has opened when I just walk past the liftgate sometimes and has closed on my head a few times,

OP
ChristianGMoore
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I was getting stuff out of the back when it came down on my head. Still frustrated.

hbalek

Reactions
Today at the gas station I walked around back of the vehicle a couple times while filling up and it opened 3 times! Lucky it hasn't closed on my head recently!

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Another thread on this issue has even mentioned reflections shining near the hitch, I've used just my hand to flick next to the hitch and made it open and or close on the flick of a wrist.... IT's way more sensitive than my wife's '17 Escape....

Reactions
Yeah, it is sensitive and I have a small garage so if it opens accidentally, it will hit the garage door. So I have selected the disable switch option in the infotainment setting. I only enable it when I go shopping and need to use the storage.