Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Lift gate and LKA not working

Ewentz224

Reactions
Lift gate doesn’t open with key fob or foot motion from the factory. After I bought it I find out the lane keep assist (button on turn signal) doesn’t work either. Hoping it’s the same module that needs to be replaced. Not sure what else isn’t working either?? The dealer said the module is on back order, ugh. Anyone else have more info or the same problem?

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just a thought, in case you didn't try it: The tailgate switch can turned off in the on sceen programming, and the LKA needs other options turned on in order to work. In particular, LKA seems more complicated than necessary.

Reactions
LKA can be on by itself but Lane Centering works only when intelligent cruise is activated.

OP
E

Ewentz224

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Just a thought, in case you didn't try it: The tailgate switch can turned off in the on sceen programming, and the LKA needs other options turned on in order to work. In particular, LKA seems more complicated than necessary.
Thanks, we did try turning it on and off in the on screen programming.
It is at the shop now and they are looking into the LKA and why it isn’t working. Everything works when I’m in cruise control.

Mark S.

Reactions
I am having issues with my LKA and lane centering (I THINK). Keep trying to figure it out. Keep getting confused not sure if if I am doing something wrong or it is just not working right. What is the difference between LKA and lane centering\? Also my start stop engine feature works intermittently. Sometimes it does not work right after I start the car then just starts to work after I have been driving for a little while. I contacted my dealer about 3 weeks ago and tried to explain everything to them. They asked if I would need a rental and I said yes. I was told they don't have one at that time and would call me when on came available. Still have not heard back from them. I guess I am going to have to call them again. I went online and saw a lot of complaints about this dealers service dept. Thinking maybe I should switch to a different dealers service dept.

Reactions
I am having issues with my LKA and lane centering (I THINK). Keep trying to figure it out. Keep getting confused not sure if if I am doing something wrong or it is just not working right. What is the difference between LKA and lane centering\? Also my start stop engine feature works intermittently. Sometimes it does not work right after I start the car then just starts to work after I have been driving for a little while. I contacted my dealer about 3 weeks ago and tried to explain everything to them. They asked if I would need a rental and I said yes. I was told they don't have one at that time and would call me when on came available. Still have not heard back from them. I guess I am going to have to call them again. I went online and saw a lot of complaints about this dealers service dept. Thinking maybe I should switch to a different dealers service dept.
Lane keep assist will make steering corrections when approaching the lines. If enabled, it is always active.
lane centering will keep you centered in lane :) and is only active when cruise control is active.

I believe the auto stop/start is behaving as expected. It will cycle on/off depending on load (accessories/electrical), engine temp...etc. It won't always shut off when you are at a stop but depends on many variables. I have a hybrid too and it behaves as you described.

Mark S.

Reactions
Lane keep assist will make steering corrections when approaching the lines. If enabled, it is always active.
lane centering will keep you centered in lane :) and is only active when cruise control is active.

I believe the auto stop/start is behaving as expected. It will cycle on/off depending on load (accessories/electrical), engine temp...etc. It won't always shut off when you are at a stop but depends on many variables. I have a hybrid too and it behaves as you described.
Thanks for the info. I will keep a eye on it and see if there is any kind of pattern happening with the auto start stop feature and keep trying to figure out LKA and lane centering.

KegsBdry

Reactions
LKA can be on by itself but Lane Centering works only when intelligent cruise is activated.
What happens if you disable the LKA (using the button showing a steering wheel with 2 lanes on either side) from the steering wheel (bottom left) while in adaptive cruise control & the button fails to work again? I turned it off but it fails to turn back on? Am I missing something?

I turn it off on narrow country roads. It kept disabling itself or dinging annoyingly.

Reactions
What happens if you disable the LKA (using the button showing a steering wheel with 2 lanes on either side) from the steering wheel (bottom left) while in adaptive cruise control & the button fails to work again? I turned it off but it fails to turn back on? Am I missing something?

I turn it off on narrow country roads. It kept disabling itself or dinging annoyingly.
The lane stripes on the road need to be clearly seen by the camera, otherwise it disengages. I’ve noticed on curvy roads, it’s not active that often. It’s really designed more for straight highways with gradual turns I think.

KegsBdry

Reactions
The lane stripes on the road need to be clearly seen by the camera, otherwise it disengages. I’ve noticed on curvy roads, it’s not active that often. It’s really designed more for straight highways with gradual turns I think.
You’re right. The Auto Steering is awful on curvy roads.

But what happens if your Auto Steering button doesn’t re-engage? I pressed it about 10 times & even turned the car off/on again 3 times (at lights). The side ‘blinker’ button for ‘lane aid‘ still works. But the steering wheel icon on the dashboard hasn’t come back. I’ll try it again tomorrow.

Reactions
You’re right. The Auto Steering is awful on curvy roads.

But what happens if your Auto Steering button doesn’t re-engage? I pressed it about 10 times & even turned the car off/on again 3 times (at lights). The side ‘blinker’ button for ‘lane aid‘ still works. But the steering wheel icon on the dashboard hasn’t come back. I’ll try it again tomorrow.
Not sure. I’ll try it out too. Isn’t that the button that turns the actual cruise control on and off? Maybe you need to hit either “resume” or “set” after you press the cruise on/off button when you’ve turned it back on. Sorry man, just going by memory here LOL! I really should go in the garage and look at the controls before responding!!

Last edited:

KegsBdry

Reactions
Not sure. I’ll try it out too. Isn’t that the button that turns the actual cruise control on and off? Maybe you need to hit either “resume” or “set” after you press the cruise on/off button when you’ve turned it back on. Sorry man, just going by memory here LOL! I really should go in the garage and look at the controls before responding!!
We are getting closer. I turn on Cruise Control (which is the Adaptive CC) & click SET/RESUME. The Adaptive Cruise Control starts & the STEERING WHEEL icon shows up at the bottom of my dashboard.

When you click on that STEERING WHEEL BUTTON on the bottom left of the steering wheel, the STEERING WHEEL ICON goes away on the dashboard (Adaptive Cruise Control resumes). It only keeps you a good distance from the car in front of you or maxes out to your set Cruise Control.

The point is if I try to RE-ENABLE the STEERING WHEEL BUTTON, it doesn't come back on (auto drive by staying within the lanes). I tried several different things but could not get it back to working order. I'll try again now that it has set overnight.