Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Leaking transmission

Reactions
I recently found that I have a very small and slow leak in my transmission. I noticed some red fluid on the heat shield every time I drove. It would especially pool towards the rear of the transmission, sometimes even dripping slightly off of the back portion of the pan.

20240421_082523.jpg

I removed the heat shield and cleaned the area thoroughly and drove some more, I believe it is actually coming from the front right section of the transmission. I found fluid above where the plastic pan meets the transmission, so I don't think it's the pan gasket.

Any idea what it could be? I know there's a vent in that area. My next possible suspect is the input shaft seal is leaking on that side.

Has anyone ever experienced this leak?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Trans cooler? These have been known to leak.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Trans cooler? These have been known to leak.
I wish it was that, it would be an easy fix.

I looked on the driver's side and the cooler area, it looked pretty good.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Here's the passenger front corner. When I put a dry paper towel in that area above the pan, it came back with red fluid on it.

20240507_011156.jpg

Cooler lines seem ok.
20240507_011156.jpg

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
im experiencing a leak with a hose by the transmission it has a white plastic plug and is slowly leaking

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Had an appointment with the dealer today, but their transmission guy is booked until June.

Apparently this car has had some leaks at the output shaft seal and some harsh shift issues in 2021. The trans has definitely been out of the car at some point, possibly rebuilt.

hbalek

Reactions
Had an appointment with the dealer today, but their transmission guy is booked until June.

Apparently this car has had some leaks at the output shaft seal and some harsh shift issues in 2021. The trans has definitely been out of the car at some point, possibly rebuilt.

Mine was rebuilt at 25K miles and now I'm at 50K miles. There's a TSB for the 6-7 gear shift problem and A Clutch and clamp replacement.

OP
jwuonog
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I don't want to speak to soon, but my leak seems to have gone away on its own. I'm quite confused by it, but I'm not complaining.

I did do a trans filter and 5 qts of Mercon ULV back in November and reused the pan gasket. I noticed the leak in late April, who knows if it was leaking the whole time.

I ordered a new pan gasket and more fluid recently, just in case it was my error or a bad gasket. It still had a tiny drip, which led to this post. I vacuum suctioned the fluid out before dropping the pan. I got about 4 quarts out, and didn't change the filter this time.

My theory is that maybe it was leaking since November due to bad gasket or improper installation, and I was seeing residual fluid after.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My leak comes from the trannie cooler and it magically stopped yesterday as well. im still getting it in to the dealer