Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Knerf Bars

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If anyone could could;

1. Give your opinion on the back and side knerf bars.

2. Show me a matching bull bar for the front that doesn't block the sensors.

I would appriate the help.

pic5.jpg :) pic9.jpg pic11.jpg pic12.jpg pic5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Anyone??

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I just couldn't after commenting on the wood grain dash.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Why not?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Neither go with the sporty style of the ST…but it’s not parked in my garage.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I was taught that if you don't have something good to say not to say anything. I admit I haven't followed that training very well. So... okay, those nerf bars don't belong on any Explorer with perhaps the exception of a lifted KR with a little taller tire on it. Nerf bars are for real off-road vehicles. I have a Rapid Red ST so those pics were pretty close to home they turned my stomach just a bit.;) Just my 2 cents.

I'm sorry, I'm probably not saying the things you want to hear in the last couple of threads. There is no accounting for taste and as long as you like it on your vehicle that is the only thing that matters.

Last edited:
OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I admire your honesty. The need for the bars/steps is more physical and practical in my case. My wife is 72 and 4'11" tall, plus with my back issues leftover from VN I also need a step. That's he physical part. The practical part is protection from parking lot and traffic assholes in and around the Boston area. My 2013 suffered more than $2k parking lot damage in less than a year, which I had repaired. I don't want to go through that again and see the bars/steps as a part of the solution. But, I think flat steps would have looked much more out of place, and in the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thanks for the reply.

PS - All the good ST's are rapid red.;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Your post really changes everything. It seems like a good idea.
What about the auto running boards that tuck away when not in use? That would be kinda slick and functional to your life.
Also, thank you for your service.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Your post really changes everything. It seems like a good idea.
What about the auto running boards that tuck away when not in use? That would be kinda slick and functional to your life.
Also, thank you for your service.
I had given them a long look. However, they tend to be prone to damage, and in the winter up here they tend to freeze in the up position. If you look at the side view the bars/steps don't look out of place, and the rear step come right out if needed. Youl'd be surprized at how many times my truck(s) have been backed into in parking lots.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hurts the soul hearing that.
My rear hitch on my broncos saved me from rear damage a few times.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
That changes things a bit, a couple of inches may make all the difference in the world for your wife's ingress into the vehicle. There was a thread on this forum that had some decent-looking running boards in it. These had an almost factory look to them. They'd accomplish your needs plus you'd never have to worry about rust or need to repaint the nerfs or glue the foot pads back on and they look more like they belong to a street sporting vehicle.

I do see merit in the trailer hitch bump bar, that said, I couldn't make myself do it.

OP
blackdog

blackdog

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
That changes things a bit, a couple of inches may make all the difference in the world for your wife's ingress into the vehicle. There was a thread on this forum that had some decent-looking running boards in it. These had an almost factory look to them. They'd accomplish your needs plus you'd never have to worry about rust or need to repaint the nerfs or glue the foot pads back on and they look more like they belong to a street sporting vehicle.

I do see merit in the trailer hitch bump bar, that said, I couldn't make myself do it.
I'll bet you could do it if you lived in this part of the world. We have more than 1 village idiot, and they all seem to back into cars or trucks. I had one woman back into my wifes truck and I asked her why she didn't see or hear her back up assist warning. She told me it was turned off because the sound was annoying.