Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Jacking procedure?

GTP

Reactions
What's everyone doing to jack up their car on stands?

So much more hassle than my Mustang with jacking rails. I've tried jacking the pinch welds and supporting the front and rear sub frames. I don't prefer to support the pinch welds on stands.

Here's a pic of a stand under the large bolt for the rear sub frame. I jacked under the lower control arm for this one Haven't yet found a suitable stand location at the front sub frame.

Because the car is so much higher than the Mustang I also employ various short pieces of 2x4 and 4x4 blocks.

I also purchased this slotted rubber jack pad off eBay. It fits the pinch weld without pressure on the plastic side skirt.

20200708_133713.jpg

Last edited:

kimmonia

Reactions
Never seen that before, guess it makes sense. Is the point of contact the bolt head itself or the black circular subrame ?

OP
GTP

GTP

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
The deep saddle of the stand allows it to clear both the bolt and washer.
Normally I don't care for the deep saddle, but in this case it is a positive.

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Anyone worked out where to put the jack stands up front so you can get all four wheels off the ground yet?

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Disregard, just discovered UniJacks which are a combo bottle jack & jack stand. Price for a couple on Amazon isn't too bad

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Gonna buy a couple of these ($60 each), there's also a 6000lb version Jack.PNG :

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Pinchweld Adapter:
JackPad.PNG

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Oh, you were referring to the car..(thread title) :)

ZRX61

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Ordered one UniJack & pinch weld pad today. If it works as described I'll order another one. Didn't want to order a pair until I know they work. I'll post pics, it's due to arrive on Tuesday.

Reactions
Reactions
Reactions
. If you only use the jack.

Not for the jack stands obviously. I just use two jacks at a time to rotate tires.

The jegs racing ramps are also a must for oil changes.
Ya those do work well. I use one of those with a floor jack and raise the rear on one side enough to get the front side up. Then, put a jack stand with pinch weld adaptor under the front and another jack stand with a wood block under the rear subframe for safety. I just rotated the tires and noticed that the TPMS sensors found their new homes by themselves without doing the reset procedure. Kinda cool.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I use a Quickjack. Haven't used it on an Explorer yet but I can have a car up in the air in about 4 minutes including the time it takes to pull out and setup the quickjack. It has paid for itself in time alone over the years. I also have a two post lift at my business but for oil changes and such I use the Quickjack in my garage.

Reactions
I use a Quickjack. Haven't used it on an Explorer yet but I can have a car up in the air in about 4 minutes including the time it takes to pull out and setup the quickjack. It has paid for itself in time alone over the years. I also have a two post lift at my business but for oil changes and such I use the Quickjack in my garage.
Which Quickjack model do you have and how are you storing it?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Which Quickjack model do you have and how are you storing it?
I believe it is the 5000xl?

I bought the hangers and hang them off the wall with the pump and hoses and lifting blocks and pinch weld blocks in the corner. Takes up little space when stored. The lifts have wheels on one end so it is easy rolling them into place.

Costco seems to regularly run sales. IIRC I picked mine fir about $1000 a few years ago. I believe they have gone up since like everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I believe it is the 5000xl?

I bought the hangers and hang them off the wall with the pump and hoses and lifting blocks and pinch weld blocks in the corner. Takes up little space when stored. The lifts have wheels on one end so it is easy rolling them into place.

Costco seems to regularly run sales. IIRC I picked mine fir about $1000 a few years ago. I believe they have gone up since like everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. The new TL models go up a bit higher like 3” more. About $1,300 at Costco.

Last edited: