Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Intelligent Cruise Control not functioning

KegsBdry

Reactions
After taking my ST in for a Speed Sensor replacement, the Intelligent Cruise Control is working like Adaptive Cruise Control (it's missing the Steering Wheel icon on the dash). It's understandable that some features will take time to become usable again after a few turn keys or trips. But my question is, how long until the auto steering becomes available again? It's been about 10 turn keys and 80 miles since the part was replaced.

2022-08-15 10_31_13-Intell CC.jpg ‎- Photos.png 2022-08-15 10_28_35-Photo - Google Photos - Brave.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
It sounds like you're referring to the lane keep assist (or whatever it's called) Could that have been turned off? Mine has a button on the left side of the steering wheel that engages and disengages that function. To my understanding the intelligent cruise control is and to increase our decrease your cruise speed based on speed limit signs and the tolerance that you've set.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If it doesn't return the next start, there is something wrong unless it's winter and the front end is iced up. There was someone who reported the sensor behind the front lower bumper cover was dislodged. Maybe check that. I'd also run a Forscan diagnostic.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
It sounds like you're referring to the lane keep assist (or whatever it's called) Could that have been turned off? Mine has a button on the left side of the steering wheel that engages and disengages that function. To my understanding the intelligent cruise control is and to increase our decrease your cruise speed based on speed limit signs and the tolerance that you've set.
The Lane Keep assist is on, you can see in the second picture the lines on the outside are activated. That seems to be working.

I'm talking about the GREEN or ORANGE steering wheel shown when Intelligent Cruise Control is activate.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
If it doesn't return the next start, there is something wrong unless it's winter and the front end is iced up. There was someone who reported the sensor behind the front lower bumper cover was dislodged. Maybe check that. I'd also run a Forscan diagnostic.
Forscan diagnostic sounds like a great next step. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
The Lane Keep assist is on, you can see in the second picture the lines on the outside are activated. That seems to be working.

I'm talking about the GREEN or ORANGE steering wheel shown when Intelligent Cruise Control is activate.
To better understand, does that green/orange steering wheel not appear when you press the button circled below?
Screenshot 2022-08-15 135243.png

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
To better understand, does that green/orange steering wheel not appear when you press the button circled below?
View attachment 13849
That button only puts on the lane assist, not Intelligent ACC.

My Adaptive Cruise Control is setup for Intelligent (it's located in the center console under Assistance).

When I turn on Cruise Control and RES from the steering wheel's buttons, the speed is set to whatever Tolerance you setup over the speed limit (also located in the center console).

Then the green steering wheel comes on. It should look like the image below. Then your vehicle is turning to stay within the lane and keep yourself from hitting any object in front of you.

1660596792849.png

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
To be clear, what is your problem? The steering wheel doesn't show? The steering wheel is orange instead of green? If it doesn't show, the button PlatinumST showed a picture of toggles the steering wheel display on or disappeared for me.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Steering wheel on the dash is messing all together. Doesn't show.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Maybe the button on your steering wheel has malfunctioned. I know it's been reported before. When you press that button, the steering wheel on the dash should immediately show up in grey.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Agreed. The speed sensor was fixed last Friday. I'll give it about a week to see if resolves itself. It might be recalibrating?!?!?! Who knows.

Wanted to know if anyone else out there knew how long it took to 'recalibrate'. I'll follow up on Friday.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I replaced the half shaft axle speed sensor a few weeks ago. Not sure if it has anything to do with your problem. I have no issues with mine after replacement. When the speed sensor was acting up, intelligent cruise wouldnt work but a message was displayed saying so.

I'd recommend running a Forscan diagnostic. It will usually store a code for any system malfunction.

Last edited:

hbalek

Reactions
Try pushing the button to re-engage lane-centering. Like the previous poster's pic shows. That button probably has been reset to off position and needs to be turned on again. If it doesn't reappear then turn green when lock-in at speed then something is wrong.
1660681350667.png

Attachments

Last edited:

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Did you try a simple reset? Go into the menu and change it to adaptive, do a few key cycles and then change it back to intelligent. Also, there is lane keeping assist and lane centering. One is on the end of the turn signal arm and the other is with the cruise control buttons.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Try pushing the button to re-engage lane-centering. Like the previous poster's pic shows. That button probably has been reset to off position and needs to be turned on again. If it doesn't reappear then turn green when lock-in at speed then something is wrong.
View attachment 13880
I must have been pushing the wrong button when @PlatinumST suggested it because now it's working. Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction.