Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Installed Corsa; Unbearable Drone

Reactions
So, I had the Corsa installed yesterday and was shocked by the level of low RPM drone. Definitely not going to work with the kids in the car and frankly it's a bit much for me. I'm going to look into some sound deadening but wanted to see if anyone here had a similar issue and if they did anything to resolve it. I bought the Corsa because I liked its sound and all the reviews I read indicated there were no issues with drone. The interior sound is so loud at times, it almost has me thinking something has to be off. Appreciate any thoughts...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Haven’t seen that as an issue with Corsa. Double check the install…if everything is on point you can always fab up some j-pipe resonators.

Reactions
Good idea UNBROKEN. I'm thinking of doing the j-pipe resonators on the x-pipe/Borla setup as the Borla mid resonator really quiets down things.
Corsa sounds good in the video clips with a nice deep low tone like Borla. I guess Borla resontaor is top notch.
Tks.

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Haven’t seen that as an issue with Corsa. Double check the install…if everything is on point you can always fab up some j-pipe resonators.
That's why I was so surprised by this...none of the feedback I've seen over the last year indicated this was an issue at all. I have an appointment with a local speed shop next week and they're going to evaluate and look at the (dealer) install.

Reactions
I've use J pipes before and they work well but if you have a lot of drone I don't think that will fix it, only help. For how much Corsa costs and the fact their entire company is built on drone free technology, something must be wrong or they should refund it. As soon as you start welding on solutions there is no warranty.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I've use J pipes before and they work well but if you have a lot of drone I don't think that will fix it, only help. For how much Corsa costs and the fact their entire company is built on drone free technology, something must be wrong or they should refund it. As soon as you start welding on solutions there is no warranty.
They will kill all of the drone…that’s literally their job. If you do the math right they will kill the target frequency and lower those above and below it. Helmholtz chambers are a science so you have to do you calculations right and install them correctly.

JaySTa1

Reactions
They will kill all of the drone…that’s literally their job. If you do the math right they will kill the target frequency and lower those above and below it. Helmholtz chambers are a science so you have to do you calculations right and install them correctly.
That's why I was so surprised by this...none of the feedback I've seen over the last year indicated this was an issue at all. I have an appointment with a local speed shop next week and they're going to evaluate and look at the (dealer) install.
Did you ever get your exhaust checked to see if it was installed correctly? I have a loud drone on my Corsa exhaust also

Reactions
Following as I have a Corsa enroute

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Did you ever get your exhaust checked to see if it was installed correctly? I have a loud drone on my Corsa exhaust also
I built my own exhaust…I don’t have the Corsa.

JaySTa1

Reactions
So, I had the Corsa installed yesterday and was shocked by the level of low RPM drone. Definitely not going to work with the kids in the car and frankly it's a bit much for me. I'm going to look into some sound deadening but wanted to see if anyone here had a similar issue and if they did anything to resolve it. I bought the Corsa because I liked its sound and all the reviews I read indicated there were no issues with drone. The interior sound is so loud at times, it almost has me thinking something has to be off. Appreciate any thoughts...
Did you ever get your Corsa exhaust checked? I’m having the same drone issue also with mine

OP
C
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Did you ever get your Corsa exhaust checked? I’m having the same drone issue also with mine
I had my shop look at it last month; nothing obvious about the install. I have major drone between 2k-3k rpm; can't hold conversations or listen to music. Beyond 3k it sounds great. Shop wants to research doing resonators. I feel like the harmonics are telling me something off/rubbing. Even when not droning...there's some vibration accompanying the exhaust note. Going back in the shop next month for the intercooler, springs and rear sway...they're going to take a closer look at the exhaust then. Probably around the 15th...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Feel around on top of the rear mufflers and make sure they’re not contacting one of the studs built into the rear floor. Borla had an issue with that early on.

F=MA

Reactions
I had a similar vibration with the Magnaflow. I could make it happen by revving the engine slowly to about 1600 rpm. Turned out the center muffler (front driver side hanger) would vibrate on the heat shield ahead of the center muffler when it warmed up. Heated up and bent the ninety degree angle hanger on the front driver side of the center muffler slightly towards the rear of the vehicle and that put an end to that vibration.

swoloschek

Reactions
I just installed a Corsa, quit a bit of drone between 2000-2300 rpm.. Anybody have similar issues?

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Dang! I have the Corsa Cat-Back and there is Zero Drone! I did the install myself at home on the driveway (not fun) and it all went on very smooth. Cruising down the freeway I can hardly tell I have aftermarket exhaust until I hit the Go pedal of Corsa!!

swoloschek

Reactions
That’s great to hear. I had mine installed by a local shop and everything seems to look good. I agree, at cruising speed it’s perfect. During acceleration the drone gets noticeable right around 2k and up to probably 2.5k or until an up shift.

I sent a support request to Corsa, am interested to see what their response is.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
That’s great to hear. I had mine installed by a local shop and everything seems to look good. I agree, at cruising speed it’s perfect. During acceleration the drone gets noticeable right around 2k and up to probably 2.5k or until an up shift.

I sent a support request to Corsa, am interested to see what their response is.
Yes I definitely can hear the Corsa exhaust when accelerating, but then again that's why I got it. Drone sound by definition is Sustained or Constant and with this Corsa exhaust it is not, that's more than likely going to be their response. :unsure:

swoloschek

Reactions
75mph, 8th gear 2500rpm constant drone.... 2700+ almost gone..
Maybe I could live with it, but I also tow and like to keep rpm in the 2k-2.5k range... so it would be under constant drone..
For the others that did have drone, what was the solution?

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
75mph, 8th gear 2500rpm constant drone.... 2700+ almost gone..
Maybe I could live with it, but I also tow and like to keep rpm in the 2k-2.5k range... so it would be under constant drone..
For the others that did have drone, what was the solution?
There ya go, I do not run 75mph in 8th gear nor do I tow with the ST. I could see how that could be a Drone and be annoying. I would go with UNBROKEN's suggestion, a proper J-Pipe will solve the issue....