Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Inaccurate MPG Adjustment

Hyins

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Dealer Test Mode (Engineering Test Mode)

To enter the IPC engineering test mode or dealer test mode, begin with the ignition off. Press and hold the RH steering wheel switch OK button. For push-button start vehicles, place the ignition on and continue to hold the button for 5-8 seconds until the display indicates Test or Gauge Sweep. For key ignition vehicles, place the ignition in the key on position, and wait 5-8 seconds until the display indicates Test or Gauge Sweep. Press the up or down arrow buttons to navigate through each of the display windows. To exit the IPC dealer test mode, press and hold the OK button for 5-8 seconds or place the ignition in off.

DTE /Average Fuel Economy

The DTE is calculated in the PCM using the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE), which is the fuel economy up to 400 km (250 miles), and the fuel level input from the fuel sender to determine how many kilometers (miles) the vehicle can be driven based on the remaining fuel in the tank. The DTE displayed value can increase, or decrease, or stay the same value depending on customer driving patterns.
The Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE) is not transmitted over the CAN , however the IPC will show an invalid Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE) value in Engineering Test Mode. The DTE can vary in the short term by up to 80 km (50 miles), but is usually within 16 km (10 miles). Even if the fuel economy is relatively constant, the DTE can be off over a 80 km (50 mile) range by -24% to +38%.
The DTE display and the fuel gauge both use the fuel level input from the fuel tank and engine fuel consumption to provide their respective functions. If the fuel gauge doesn't function correctly, both the fuel gauge and the DTE display are affected.
If the DTE does not function correctly and the fuel gauge is correct, then Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE), odometer or vehicle speed related input can be invalid.
The PCM defaults to a preset baseline L/100km (mpg) when the keep alive memory is reset or PCM is flashed and changes afterward based on driving habits and conditions.

NOTE: The customer calculated DTE can be higher or lower than the DTE displayed in the message center due to changes in driving conditions. It is important to understand how the DTE is calculated and the factors that impact the DTE display when determining how to address any DTE concerns.

Since the DTE is calculated and averaged over a longer period of time (400 km [250 miles]), varying driving conditions can have a significant impact on the current or short term DTE as opposed to the displayed DTE . This difference often leads to customer complaints of incorrect or invalid DTE . The following list provides some (not all) of the driving conditions that may lead to an incorrect or fluctuating DTE concern:
  • Changing between towing/not towing.
  • Changing driving between city and highway.
  • Allowing the vehicle to idle for long periods of time.
  • Using the remote start feature frequently to allow the vehicle to warm up, particularly when parked on a grade.
  • Parking or driving on grades.
  • Inconsistent use of gasoline or E85 fuels.
  • Over-fueling or not filling the tank completely (trickle filling at above full, partial filling with less than 10% of tank capacity).
The PCM uses the following network messages to control the DTE .
  • Fuel alcohol percent
  • Fuel flow volume display
  • Odometer count
  • Transport mode
  • Fuel level input from the IPC

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks for posting ...

So was the ST accurate before or after the adjustments? (because you said "surprisingly")
I may have mis-read your question a bit. What I meant was I'm surprised at the consistency of the readings and results. I expected more variation.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I may have mis-read your question a bit. What I meant was I'm surprised at the consistency of the readings and results. I expected more variation.
Okay, thanks!