Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

If I were asked to redesign the ST...

Reactions
If you believe Ford scored a home run with the 6th gen 2020 Explorer re-design, what could be done with the car’s current configuration/design to achieve a grand-slam. What could Ford do to quantum-leap all competitors around these price points? Please contribute with your ideas.
Rules: Any concern/complaint/rant should be connected to your positive corrective solution or improvement. Please be specific i.e. Issue-I just cannot stand the rotary knob shifter. Fix-Incorporate the same folding lever shifter Ford brilliantly deployes on the F-150.
Plu-eeeze keep it positive.
I’ll go first. Issue-Navigating down through the on-screen menu to “Calm” or “Darken” the dash display is dangerous while driving. Fix-Replicate the Lincoln strategy by providing an easily reached physical button (edge of the screen maybe) to do this without taking your eyes off the road.
I could talk your ears off.

Reactions
Issue: Poor design of infotainment.

Fix: Flip the 12inch screen horizontally and adjust layout. That has been really my only complaint with mine honestly.

Had to edit to follow the rules haha

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just switch the display to night for that part. Yours doesn’t have buttons beside the headlight switch to dim the dash? B2D37F67-11F1-4AE4-8234-D5080568CE0E.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
-Issue: 3rd Row Seats don't have enough padding

Fix: Put more padding

-Issue: Brakes look small and are basically fake Brembos

Fix: Add Brembo Big Brakes as an option or part of a package (I'm being a bit picky)

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Fix: Flip the 12inch screen horizontally and adjust layout. That has been really my only complaint with mine honestly.
(y)

-Issue: Brakes look small and are basically fake Brembos

Fix: Add Brembo Big Brakes as an option or part of a package (I'm being a bit picky)
I had Brembos on my Stinger GT, they were awful!

Vibration in pedal said to be from US spec models getting softer pads and then transferring material to the rotor.

Well known issue on Stinger forums, people were changing out their brake pads for harder one's on brand new cars.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor

Vibration in pedal said to be from US spec models getting softer pads and then transferring material to the rotor.

Well known issue on Stinger forums, people were changing out their brake pads for harder one's on brand new cars.
Well it's the pads that were causing the problem not the rotors right?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
(y)

Brake pads transfer material to the rotor as a matter of function. It’s how brakes work and is part of the bedding process.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
1- I agree, flip the 10.1" screen so it's horizontal.
2- give us a real brembo brake option.
3- ditch the oddball and fugly 21" wheels and replace then with a 22x10 with 285/40/22's

Buck Nutz

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
1: All in on the ability to flip the screen
2: A bit better quality on the interior; hard to tell on 2 test drives, you need to own it for awhile to see the issues
3: Better quality for B/O audio

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Can’t put it into neutral without starting.

Fix = Let me put it in ACC to engage neutral so I can roll a little and apply tire shine to the area I missed close to the ground without running the engine for 8 seconds.

Explorer22ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Have full use of the large vertical type, center display screen. Ideally, this large display should be horizontally fitted as others have mentioned.
Include the most updated version of Synch / infotainment software available within Ford
Hydraulic hood lifters should be included with a vehicle at this price point.
Fix the rear diff bolt design by adding back the second bolt / sub frame
Tire / wheel combination that provides a more aggressive looking stance of the ST trim level
Heads-up display for a vehicle with a $60k price point
Fit and finish quality enhancement to eliminate the rattle noises that this vehicle is known for
Ideally, have a shift lever instead of rotary dial (Personal preference)
B&O audio system should have better quality sound for highs and lows (Not sure if this is speaker quality or the electronics of the audio system)

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Issue-The location of and access to the battery is sub-par. Fix-Provide red/black remote jumper cable terminals (brass) located near the grill like Jeep does on their Cherokee’s.

Issue-Wiper blades can freeze to the base of the windshield in winter. Fix-Follow the Lincoln example of building de-icing (heating) elements into the base of windshield where the wiper blades rest. This is a smart safety feature.

Issue-The thread-in tow hook my car was built with and provided with the car has nowhere to attach to (seriously). Slide off a snowy road, how will you pull it out? No attach points. Fix-provide the threaded port in the frame that the from bumper already has access to. Some 2020 models had this.

Issue-The rear view camera can be cleaned with washer fluid, but not the front camera. Fix-plumb washer fluid to the from camera lens like the rear camera.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Issue-The location of and access to the battery is sub-par. Fix-Provide red/black remote jumper cable terminals (brass) located near the grill like Jeep does on their Cherokee’s.

Issue-Wiper blades can freeze to the base of the windshield in winter. Fix-Follow the Lincoln example of building de-icing (heating) elements into the base of windshield where the wiper blades rest. This is a smart safety feature.

Issue-The thread-in tow hook my car was built with and provided with the car has nowhere to attach to (seriously). Slide off a snowy road, how will you pull it out? No attach points. Fix-provide the threaded port in the frame that the from bumper already has access to. Some 2020 models had this.

Issue-The rear view camera can be cleaned with washer fluid, but not the front camera. Fix-plumb washer fluid to the from camera lens like the rear camera.
1…there are jumper cable terminals under the plastic cover that takes .0003 seconds to remove.
2…buy a 2020…we have this.
3…same…
4…same again

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Brake pads transfer material to the rotor as a matter of function. It’s how brakes work and is part of the bedding process.
What I was saying is if the Stinger had better oads the rotors would be fine.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I would add one more thing:

-issue: Carbon Fiber inserts look cheep

-fix: make it gloss

l1tech

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
Issue- Instrument cluster looks like A** in any mode other than sport.

Fix- Make the instrument cluster display what you want where you want (the technology is there)

Issue- Have to change drive mode everytime you restart the vehicle

Fix-DUH

Issue-interior is loud and doors sound cheap when closing

FIx-A little more insulation and perhaps some better materials would help with both of these issues big time.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
One other thing I'd like to change, swap the speedo and tach in sport mode so the speed is on the right side. Traditionally the speedo is always on the right on American vehicles, so why did they put it on the left?

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Well it's the pads that were causing the problem not the rotors right?
Correct. Don't know what they do now, but at the time KIA just resurfaced the rotors. Then the same problem as before after so many miles.

Before people figured out it was just the pads, they spent big $$ changing out all 4 rotors/pads with upgraded race parts.

Reactions
1…there are jumper cable terminals under the plastic cover that takes .0003 seconds to remove.
2…buy a 2020…we have this.
3…same…
4…same again
I like my 2020 in Iconic Silver very much!!

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Just switch the display to night for that part. Yours doesn’t have buttons beside the headlight switch to dim the dash? View attachment 14270
My bad...it’s the center screen I wish to darken while driving.