Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

hvac/defroster vent issue

HTRon

Reactions
Hey everyone - new to the forum, have had my ST since August.

I sought out this forum so I could ask other owners about this, as my first step in getting this addressed (I hope).

When I have the heat on, warm air comes out of the defroster vent AND the floor. (I would expect heat only on the floor.) However, when I then put the system in manual FLOOR-ONLY mode, it still comes out the defroster vent, about as strongly as it comes out the floor!! I'm sorry, but I would expect in manual floor-only mode, that IT WOULD ONLY COME OUT ON THE FLOOR! (Can you tell I'm frustrated about this?) But I'm sorry, I hate warm air blowing in my face (I'm 6'2", but my seat is in the lowest position), especially when my feet/lower legs are still cold!
My dealer says he sees the same thing on his other 2020 Explorers, though he didn't have any other STs at the time to check.

Does this happen to all of you? I'm so afraid that this is by design...

Reactions
I'm 6'1" and the only time it blows on my face is on MAX, and when my wife has "adjusted" things because she thinks she's smarter than the computer...(vents closed or directed away, blower on high,....)

I use AUTO with 3 lights. Might you have the defroster on manually?

OP
HTRon

HTRon

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Nope - and I use auto with one light. (what's up with that anyway??!?! why isn't auto = AUTO!?!?)

Like I said, I go to the manual menu, and select floor only...and it still comes out the defroster vent.

I was just hoping some people on here could check what theirs does...just by putting it on manual floor only and putting your hand by the defroster vent way forward under the windshield, and then in the floorwell, to feel the airflows.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Count your blessings you're getting heat at your feet. Drove my new ST home last night from a dealer about 20 miles away, there was no heat on the drivers side, passenger side and rear had heat. Took it back this morning and it turns out a diverter (blender) actuator was unplugged. Service guy said it was an easy fix once they got to it. I'll check my defroster air flow when I'm on floor only, but it could be something as simple as that.

Reactions
I'll go feel it when my ST returns to my driveway.
Is this when you first startup in cold weather, or is this after everything's up to temp?

Reactions
Count your blessings you're getting heat at your feet. Drove my new ST home last night from a dealer about 20 miles away, there was no heat on the drivers side, passenger side and rear had heat. Took it back this morning and it turns out a diverter (blender) actuator was unplugged. Service guy said it was an easy fix once they got to it. I'll check my defroster air flow when I'm on floor only, but it could be something as simple as that.
I was hoping mine turned out to be the diverter. I have only warm air after about 30-45 minutes of driving. It turned out to be the heater core and to get to it, the entire dash board, steering column and center console has to come out.

Reactions
I just went out - When I use my hand, yes I can feel air anytime the HVAC system is on. I can change its intensity by mode or fan speed, but it's always there. (I think by design.) However I do NOT feel it on my face while in the driving position unless I set the controls to do so.

PJ

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I just checked mine and both the side window pillar vents and the center defroster vents blow air when only feet heat is selected. But the main defroster vents are not blowing.

hbalek

Reactions
Has anyone noticed the vent on the passenger side rear door opening sort of where the elbow of the 2nd row passenger would be? When I used remote start and opened that rear passenger side door it was blowing warm air out of 2 vents there. After 2 months of ownership I wasn't aware of these vents. I had only seen the ceiling vents in the rear cabin.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Yes it really warms the rear section well.