Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How to remove interior black plastic trim scratches

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So dumb me was vacuuming my interior and when I was doing the 2nd row captain chairs, I scratched the black plastic at the bottom side of the captain chairs. It’s the generic black plastic trim piece. I’m wondering if there is some interior solution I can use to “blacken” the white scratches I put in the plastic from my vacuum accessory.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Sucks to hear. I will likely be wrapping a few bits in PPF.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Sucks to hear. I will likely be wrapping a few bits in PPF.
Yeah. I mean it’s inevitable that it will get scratched. Just annoying that I did it like that lol I’m thinking some armor all or something would help fill in the white scratch and make it more black again.

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Yeah. I mean it’s inevitable that it will get scratched. Just annoying that I did it like that lol I’m thinking some armor all or something would help fill in the white scratch and make it more black again.
Actually there’s a trick that some detailers use. A hair dryer or heat gun (but be careful) can make some light scratches go away. Just go easy if you use a heat gun. It’s easy to ruin plastic

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Actually there’s a trick that some detailers use. A hair dryer or heat gun (but be careful) can make some light scratches go away. Just go easy if you use a heat gun. It’s easy to ruin plastic
Interesting. I’ll avoid the heat gun but can definitely try my wife’s hair dryer. Do I do anything else while hearing it up?

SOUTHFLST

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Interesting. I’ll avoid the heat gun but can definitely try my wife’s hair dryer. Do I do anything else while hearing it up?
Just go easy. Blowing across the top as opposed to straight down can help prevent it from warping. You can cause damage if you do it for too long, too hot, in one spot. But you should be okay if you’re careful.

Cwolf747

Reactions
How'd this go? My dog left a small scratch with his nail in the cargo area. I know it's going to happen but I haven't even had my first oil change! I'll do that at 5,000.

OP
S

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
How'd this go? My dog left a small scratch with his nail in the cargo area. I know it's going to happen but I haven't even had my first oil change! I'll do that at 5,000.
Haven’t even bothered to try it. Forgot about it honestly. Guess like you said, just the first of many little things that will happen.

Magician

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
You can also try using a steamer, I’ve had some luck minimizing some scratches with the heat from my steamer. Keep it moving at all times and give breaks to keep the plastic from getting to hot.
Good Luck

Reactions
I realize this is an older thread but I came across it and maybe I can help. I was a Program Manager for a few years at the company that makes nearly all Ford OEM emblems and badging including the Ford Explorer hood letters, Ranger fender badges, F150 & F250 etc. fender badges, Bronco lettering, Mustang applique, Powerboost logo's, ecoboost logo's, almost every Ford oval badge, and on and on and on. We also produced a lot of badging and other plastics for all other domestic and foreign automakers.

For piano black painted items that received scratched at times during manufacturing, we would use a heat gun to repair the finish. It is a self healing paint and the heat gun worked great. Other plastics like MIC grained / textured plastics, we would use a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and lightly scrub the surface with it to remove marks and light scratches. A heat gun works well for this also but you have to be really careful. These are really the best tricks for scratches and what is done at the OEM manufacturing level.

Last edited: