Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How to disable hands-free liftgate feature???

Reactions
The only option is to completely disable the door open switches (including the hands free option) or enable everything in the setting options in the infotainment screen. So basically you get to open the liftgate every possible way or Not open it at all with any option. I think that is crazy.

Caster

Reactions
The hands free sensor(s) at the bottom of the rear bumper cover plug in at one location. I've disabled this on (2) Escapes and on (2) Edges that I have owned. Go under the vehicle at the rear bumper cover and find where the hands free wiring plug connection is and unplug it- It's that easy. Why Ford doesn't have a manual shut off switch for this is beyond me.. . This is especially important if you have a hitch mounted bike rack and you inadvertently trigger the damn hands free liftgate. If you don't realize it quickly and don't forcefully stop the liftgate from opening, the liftgate will hit the bike rack and damage the liftgate paint and may even cause the liftgate to bend a little at the contact area.

For corrosion protection of the now unplugged wiring connection because I live in Michigan where they use WAY TOO MUCH road salt in the winter, I always added a little grease to both the male & female side of the plug, took a rubber glove and cut off 2 of the fingers and covered each end of the wiring connectors and finally wrapped each one with electrical tape. I zip tie any loose end up and out of the way. That all may be overkill but I'm okay with it and everything in all is a 5 minute ordeal.

mulligan

Reactions
The hands free sensor(s) at the bottom of the rear bumper cover plug in at one location. I've disabled this on (2) Escapes and on (2) Edges that I have owned. Go under the vehicle at the rear bumper cover and find where the hands free wiring plug connection is and unplug it- It's that easy. Why Ford doesn't have a manual shut off switch for this is beyond me.. . This is especially important if you have a hitch mounted bike rack and you inadvertently trigger the damn hands free liftgate. If you don't realize it quickly and don't forcefully stop the liftgate from opening, the liftgate will hit the bike rack and damage the liftgate paint and may even cause the liftgate to bend a little at the contact area.

For corrosion protection of the now unplugged wiring connection because I live in Michigan where they use WAY TOO MUCH road salt in the winter, I always added a little grease to both the male & female side of the plug, took a rubber glove and cut off 2 of the fingers and covered each end of the wiring connectors and finally wrapped each one with electrical tape. I zip tie any loose end up and out of the way. That all may be overkill but I'm okay with it and everything in all is a 5 minute ordeal.
Would you consider sending a picture of the location and plug?
Thanks!

Mudpuppy

Reactions
even at a do it yourself car wash my rear door gets triggered
I had it close on my head this morning when the dog ran under the bumper. It's that easy to have it close unexpectedly. I want to disable the damn thing.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You can go into vehicle settings and disable hands free liftgate operation.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You can go into vehicle settings and disable hands free liftgate operation.
Oops, sorry I see that this has already been mentioned and has unintended consequences. My take on this is to just leave the key fob in the ST and use the key pad on the side of door. I never have to look for my keys.