Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How the heck do I take these off?

Reactions
I'm having trouble removing these plastic fake hex nuts. Does anyone have a part number before I snap them all off?
I'm trying to get under this "splash guard" circled in the photo. I don't need the whole thing off, just the outside half. The inside line appears to be riveted to the heat guard.

Attachments

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
IIRC, you just untwist as you pull down on them with a needle nose pliers. I've actually replaced a few for not holding well and having the undercarriage cover flap and make noise. really cheap fastener! You can replace them with a stainless fender washer and nut, ideally with spacer.

Reactions
While we're on the subject, I was under mine for the first time yesterday. What purpose does that splash guard serve. Seems like its huge and takes up a ton of space. Cant imagine it actually keeps any dirt out, if anything id think it would collect it.

OP
J
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
While we're on the subject, I was under mine for the first time yesterday. What purpose does that splash guard serve. Seems like its huge and takes up a ton of space. Cant imagine it actually keeps any dirt out, if anything id think it would collect it.
Like this guy said.... plenty of room for your neighborhood stray cats or raccoon's to have babies in.

Reactions
My 10yr old son "helped" me install the Corsa exhaust. Whilst under the vehicle he marvelled that cars were made from cardboard..... Ugh

Franz01234

Reactions
This space is where the hybrid battery goes. I guess it was the cheapest solution to just cover that empty space up with a giant splash guard.
undercarriage.JPG

Daamus

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 XLT
Like this guy said.... plenty of room for your neighborhood stray cats or raccoon's to have babies in.
No joke, my cat snuck into the garage the other night and you wanna guess where I found him at 4am in the morning?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Funny that you mentioned that. The other morning I saw one of the neighborhood strays leaving from the direction of my ST. I'll have to keep a look out. Maybe it will keep out any other unwanted visitors like field mice. Is there anything we can do to keep the cats from settling in there?