Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

How braking feel for you

Reactions
Hey everyone, I have a 21 with the performance brake package and about 10K miles. I have some abnormal (i think) braking where every gear from 4-1 is a noticeable jolt (worse is 2-1). I can also sometimes feel the gears change from the floorboard accompanied by a "click" sound. It's the most noticeable when first driving and smooths out after a few miles. It's nothing crazy......but I'm wondering if everyone else downshifts were as smooth as butter on a stock ST?

*No tune
* normal drive mode

Last edited:
Reactions
Hey everyone, I have a 21 with the performance brake package and about 10K miles. I have some abnormal (i think) braking where every gear from 4-1 is a noticeable jolt (worse is 2-1). I can also sometimes feel the gears change from the floorboard accompanied by a "click" sound. It's the most noticeable when first driving and smooths out after a few miles. It's nothing crazy......but I'm wondering if everyone else downshifts were as smooth as butter on a stock ST?

*No tune
I notice harsher than usual upshifts and downshifts in lower gears in normal mode and even harsher in sport mode. I have been told that this is normal.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yea i figured that sport mode would have harsher shifts and it does for mine as well.....but I would think normal mode should have nice linear braking

Reactions
Yea i figured that sport mode would have harsher shifts and it does for mine as well.....but I would think normal mode should have nice linear braking
You would think but I have been told that this is normal by Ford (not dealership but Ford corp). Others on here may say differently but this is what I have experienced. The transmission does learn your driving habits as well so some days it's harsher than others. Good thing for warranties if it is fact not normal though, which should give you piece of mind but time away in the shop is always inconvenient.