Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Homelink Button

Reactions
Hey All,
Question on the homelink functionality on the Explorers. I finally got around to programming the one in the ST so that we didn't need to carry around a garage remote with us, however I noticed that the homelink still works even with the vehicle powered off. In all the other cars I have owned (current/past) with homelink, the functionality only ever worked when the key was on, but this doesn't seem to be the case here. Should the homelink work even without a key in the vehicle? I suspect its how Ford designed it, but I am not a fan as if someone were to break into the car with it outside they could easily access the garage. Has anybody ever rewired it to a switched ignition source? Maybe I am seeing it as a bigger issue that it actually is?

Thanks,
Nick

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
My Fords going back to 2005 have all worked Homelink with key off. If you park outside you need to disable the opener when you are home. My vehicles are always inside so not a problem for me.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just lock the door from my garage to my mud room every night, just in case. My master bedroom is above the garage so I'm going to hear the door going up and the time it would take them to break through the deadbolt into my mud room is plenty of time to call the cops and fire off a few warning shots ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Warning shots hell. Make em count.