Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Heated wheel temp

How would you rate your heated wheel?

• Scorching, gotta turn it off after 5-10 minutes

• Comfortably warm, can keep it on for extended times

• Just "not cold" anymore, have to keep it on at all times

• Stays cold

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Was wondering how others experience their heated steering wheel.

In my car it just feels "not cold", in my buddies f150 raptor it gets so hot you will definitely turn it off after a bit, same goes for the mustang mach e and the Kuga wheels i've experienced.

So, how do you rate your heated wheel?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Mine isn't as warm as my F150. As you said, I have to turn the truck's off after 10 or 15 minutes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
After mine has been on for 5 minutes I need to turn it off due to the heat. 10/21VIN date.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I've only felt in the ST and my Fusion Sport. I think the Fusion got hotter for sure but when I do use the wheel heater I like keeping it on for a while. Fusion I had to turn off cause it got too hot.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Can this be adjusted in forscan? I think I changed it higher on my old 16 limited.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My ExpST wheel gets pretty warm, so no problems with it. My Raptor wheel definitely gets a bit warmer than the ExpST, but both are really comfy when it’s cold out! They both cycle on/off when it gets to the set temp. If you leave them on for a long time, the metal core of the wheel retains the heat and causes the surface element to shut off more often such that it feels cooler.

I don’t have the info handy, but the steering wheel temp can be set/adjusted via FORScan. However, the hotter you set it, the more likelihood of damage to the leather covering of the wheel. There are a few threads on the Raptor forums for steering wheels replaced due to the heating element outline showing through the leather cover too much.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I had no idea these turn off by themself.

OP
S
Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Thread Starter #8
I don’t have the info handy, but the steering wheel temp can be set/adjusted via FORScan. However, the hotter you set it, the more likelihood of damage to the leather covering of the wheel. There are a few threads on the Raptor forums for steering wheels replaced due to the heating element outline showing through the leather cover too much.
Definitely gonna ask the dealer anout this!

Reactions
Here MN this time of year it is very nice to grab a warm steering wheel. It is never too hot for me it use, I use it on long drives year round my beat up hands like the warmth and lets me drive longer before I have to stop.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Mine get's hot on initial warm-up but then it goes to lukewarm at best. Not sure how long it takes or if it's the same everytime though? I haven't paid attention but always seem to realize it's not hot and look down and see it's on. I'll have to look close at next use. Mines a 22 FWIW

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mine get's hot on initial warm-up but then it goes to lukewarm at best. Not sure how long it takes or if it's the same everytime though? I haven't paid attention but always seem to realize it's not hot and look down and see it's on. I'll have to look close at next use. Mines a 22 FWIW
Same here.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
For those who have Forscan and want to adjust the temp, the setting can be found in the SCCM module. The default (or at least what mine was set at from the factory) is 35C. I dropped mine down a few degrees as it felt a bit too hot to me.

Spesss

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Anyone experience damage to their steering wheel from the heating elements? The left side of my wheel at 9 o’clock position looks partially melted. Don’t remember it being excessively hot and I only noticed it one sunny day as I got into the vehicle.