Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Hard shifts

Reactions
I took delivery of my 2021 Explorer ST on 7/6/21 and now have about 1200 miles on it. Within a few days after delivery I noticed that from a stop the transmission will shift harder from 1st gear into 2nd gear, but smooth with all other gears. It also will shift harder while downshifting during deceleration to a stop. Not violent, but will cause you and your passengers to feel the jolt. I'm not sure if this is normal or maybe just needs a software update? I have an appointment later this month to have it checked out.

I've seen some threads about maybe the car learned my driving habit on a bad day and needs to be reset.

If anyone else has this symptom and got it fixed, let me know!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There are TSBs related to the problem, your dealer can find these. Most likely they also apply to your 2021 as well.

TSB 10183420
Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator/Police Interceptor Utility vehicles equipped with a 10R60/10R80 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh engagement/harsh shift/delayed shift with or without an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) or diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F6, P07F7, P0751, P0756, P0761, P0766, P0771, P2707, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704 and/or P2705 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to sticking valves in the main control valve body. Most vehicles will improve and no longer exhibit the condition after the first 8,000 km (5,000 mi) of driving. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to perform the PCM - Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break In routine for the appropriate clutch(s) and/or replace the main control valve body.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I've had harder shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 at times. Mainly when car hasn't warmed up. I did see dealer about it. they said shifting was normal but humored me and updated the PCM calibration as well as AWD calibration. unplugging car battery to restart trans learning can help. sport mode is actually smoother than normal mode for me. tune helps a lot. my 1-2 is like it lurches into 2nd. not terrible but annoying. I used the to feel a "kick" when braking to a stop from downshifting but not any more. Any idea of build date? if june 21, you probably havee the latest pcm calibration already. try trans learning either with forscan or pulling battery terminal

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
With only 1200 miles, I'd give it some time. For example, if most of the driving is taking place at highway speeds, then you're not getting much in the way of "learning" (if you can call it that).

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
@mitchellyST Any update from the dealer?
I ended up cancelling my original appointment with the dealer because I wanted to put some more miles on it to see if it went away. Well I am now just over 3000 miles and the problems are still there. Its going in for service this week and will update when I get some answers!

Reactions
I have a 2020 with 20k miles. When I shift from R to D, there's an initial lunge which everyone in my car can feel. My shift from 1-2 is pretty rough and 2-3 is less rough. All other gears are smooth. So downshifting is smooth. I have a PBD tune but I don't think that affects the shifting. It's been happening for the last 10k miles. I just deal with it because I know they won't resolve anything if I take it in and I'll be without a car for a few days. Probably have to wait for something to actually happen before they can diagnose and look into it with more detail.

Reactions
I had the same problem, on my 2021, around 2k miles. The dealer performed that tsb and been fine since.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Zim

Reactions
I've had harder shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 at times. Mainly when car hasn't warmed up. I did see dealer about it. they said shifting was normal but humored me and updated the PCM calibration as well as AWD calibration. unplugging car battery to restart trans learning can help. sport mode is actually smoother than normal mode for me. tune helps a lot. my 1-2 is like it lurches into 2nd. not terrible but annoying. I used the to feel a "kick" when braking to a stop from downshifting but not any more. Any idea of build date? if june 21, you probably havee the latest pcm calibration already. try trans learning either with forscan or pulling battery terminal
just out of curiosity what tune do you have? My 5* tune lurched 1-2 pretty bad..

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
just out of curiosity what tune do you have? My 5* tune lurched 1-2 pretty bad..
I have Livernois. In normal mode, 1-2 shift seems long with a slight pause then lurch into gear, especially when cold. The other shifts are mostly fine. In sport mode, all shifts seem smooth and fast--it is actually a much smoother ride. I asked Livernois if they used Sport mode to tune the trans. They said, no, they used the normal mode. Sport mode adjustments are whatever Ford has programmed into it, at least on the Livernois tune. I have 34k miles on my ST now and feel the shifting is definitely smoother than when it was new but wonder if the valve body TSB would be something that would benefit me. I decided not to look further into it because sometimes that's like opening a can of worms.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Update:

The dealer performed SSM49582 and immediately I could tell that is was way smoother. The lurching during downshifts is still there but not as bad. The loaner car I was given (2021 Explorer XLT) operated the exact same way. So I'm certain this is just how they are.