Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

H&R springs installed

JoeyC

Reactions
Took pretty much all day to install but finally got it done. Took a little longer than expected and only got about 1.5 inches out of it but it made a huge difference. Here is some before and after pictures.

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s nice. Gonna make for one long ass week until I can install mine. Anything to watch for during install?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
22x? And what offset?
305/40’s?

OP
JoeyC

JoeyC

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
That’s nice. Gonna make for one long ass week until I can install mine. Anything to watch for during install?
Yeah, I thought the back was going to be a lot easier than it was. I wouldn’t recommend trying to do it alone unless you have big pry bars to get the stock springs out. Unless I was doing something wrong. Also, this bolt that holds the lower control arm/A-arm to the frame does not want to budge. Mine is backed off about halfway and seized. I’ll be cutting it off tomorrow and putting a new one in.

Attachments

OP
JoeyC

JoeyC

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
22x? And what offset?
305/40’s?
22x9 +20 offset. I’m running 275/45.
The front looks good but wish the rear stuck out about 1/2 inch more. I wish I would’ve gone with wider rims as well, the 9s don’t look bad but I like the look of a 10 or 10.5 better. Looks more stout.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
The front looks good but wish the rear stuck out about 1/2 inch more. I wish I would’ve gone with wider rims as well, the 9s don’t look bad but I like the look of a 10 or 10.5 better. Looks more stout.
That is right at an inch difference in overall size. I think 305/40 will be a good route.

Thanks for the pics. Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
JoeyC, can expound on the normal day ride quality compared to the stock springs? Thanks! Jim

Reactions
Took pretty much all day to install but finally got it done. Took a little longer than expected and only got about 1.5 inches out of it but it made a huge difference. Here is some before and after pictures.
Really minimized the gap nicely....looks great.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Really minimized the gap nicely....looks great.
Keep in mind his tires are an inch taller than stock 21’s so everyone else will show about 1/2” more gap....depending on how much they settle of course.

Reactions
Thank you for the pictures. Looks awesome. I got mine in yesterday! Just waiting in the Borla S exhaust then off to the shop.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yeah, I thought the back was going to be a lot easier than it was. I wouldn’t recommend trying to do it alone unless you have big pry bars to get the stock springs out. Unless I was doing something wrong. Also, this bolt that holds the lower control arm/A-arm to the frame does not want to budge. Mine is backed off about halfway and seized. I’ll be cutting it off tomorrow and putting a new one in.
Not sure why you need prybars. Also, if the control arm is under tension, you need to relieve it to get bolts to move. For whatever reason, in your pic, your heatshield bolt is loose too. Too me, there is nothing fancy about the suspension. I would think 3-5 hours is all you need.

OP
JoeyC

JoeyC

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
JoeyC, can expound on the normal day ride quality compared to the stock springs? Thanks! Jim
It’s really still a nice ride. Definitely hugs corners better. My wife drives it 99% If the time and she says she cant tell a difference in the ride. I have not taken it on any long drives or freeway drives yet though.

OP
JoeyC

JoeyC

Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Not sure why you need prybars. Also, if the control arm is under tension, you need to relieve it to get bolts to move. For whatever reason, in your pic, your heatshield bolt is loose too. Too me, there is nothing fancy about the suspension. I would think 3-5 hours is all you need.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just noticed the black vinyl on the rear pillars. Looks good!

Reactions
It’s really still a nice ride. Definitely hugs corners better. My wife drives it 99% If the time and she says she cant tell a difference in the ride. I have not taken it on any long drives or freeway drives yet though.
Thanks! guess I got to go for it. Yours looks great. Jim

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just ordered mine but I think I will pay someone to install. Looks great. Curious to see how they ride at high speeds on the autobahn.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just ordered mine but I think I will pay someone to install. Looks great. Curious to see how they ride at high speeds on the autobahn.

I take that back. The vendor canceled the order since they don’t ship to APO. Back to the drawing board.

censport

Reactions
looks great! i just got my springs in, waiting to install. then next are 22x10.5 or 11.