Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Grinding noise from steering wheel

ST Dad

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Whenever I start my ST or turn it off and the steering wheel moves I am hearing a loud grinding noise as it moves, anyone else have this issue?

Reactions
no. Have you checked your power steering fluid? Could be the rotor or vanes in the power steering pump have been damaged somehow. I'd look for particles in the fluid. Def a trip to the dealer for inspection though. Good luck!

OP
S

ST Dad

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
no. Have you checked your power steering fluid? Could be the rotor or vanes in the power steering pump have been damaged somehow. I'd look for particles in the fluid. Def a trip to the dealer for inspection though. Good luck!
I dropped it off to the dealer last night, waiting to hear back from them now. I wouldn't think that it would have anything to do with the power steering since the noise is coming from the steering column itself. I am also having an issue with the back hatch opening by itself when I open the rear passenger doors even when I don't have the key fob anywhere nearby.

Reactions
so the steering wheel is moving on its own? Nuts!!!!

OP
S

ST Dad

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
so the steering wheel is moving on its own? Nuts!!!!
Yes, when you turn the vehicle off the steering column raises to supposedly help you to get out. When it raises up that is when I hear the grinding noise.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm guessing here but it might be the actuator that raises and lowers the steering wheel.

OP
S

ST Dad

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I'm guessing here but it might be the actuator that raises and lowers the steering wheel.
Dealer just called and said the service department couldn't find anything wrong with it and it is not making any noise. I told them when I dropped it off that it doesn't happen all the time and he says that they tried to recreate the issue with no success. I am also thinking that it could be the actuator that raises and lowers the steering wheel, we will see if it happens again.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would turn off the easy entry/exit feature in settings, and see if that noise appears. I personally have no issues getting in and out so don't like that feature anyways.

OP
S

ST Dad

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I would turn off the easy entry/exit feature in settings, and see if that noise appears. I personally have no issues getting in and out so don't like that feature anyways.
Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow

Reactions
Sounds like probably a little plastic worm gear lr something as part of the adjustable steering column not working right/defective.

Jc12205

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer st
Yes, my 20 also grinds at a certain hot temperature. I gave up and turned the steering off on exit .