Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Glovebox and Center armrest lights?

Reactions
I read that the 2020 had lights in the globebox and center armrest. Any way to add those to a 2021? I can see the blank plastic covers that are in place of where the lights would be...I wonder if the wiring is still there? Anyone checked or able to install them?

OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thank you!!

Reactions
What was the answer? My friend has a 2020 and he has the lights vs my little black covers.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thanks to @Dale5403, he pointed me in what I hope is the right direction. I ordered the parts for both of these yesterday. Should be here this next week.

Last edited:
Reactions
Could you point me in the same direction? Did you need a wire harness?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
As I haven't installed these I can only assume that mine will be the same as others have indicated. I believe the vehicle's wiring harness is in place and the ordered LEDs have the wiring/connector necessary to attach to what already exists in the vehicle.

This isn't something you can take my word for at this point. Look at these closely as I haven't received or installed these parts yet. I can't guarantee they are the right pieces as they only list these parts fitting vehicles through the 2020 model year. I have read where others have plugged these in their 2021's.

Armrest LED/Harness - https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/wire-assy-11499427-1

Glove Box LED/Harness - https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/jumper-wiring-11569077-1

Reactions
Have you checked to see if the harness plugs are in the console and glove box?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Nope, I may end up with $50 worth of parts that have nowhere to go but I'm only taking it apart one time. I'm lazy, they are supposed to be simple to install.

Reactions
Let me know! But I agree...taking it apart once is more than enough!!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
As I said, I'm lazy and I'm betting the harness is there. The part I'm most concerned about not being there is the activator in the glove box. Might have to chase this down too. The only thing I know for a fact at this point is the holder for the LED already exists in the armrest. I'd be happy to update this once I've received the pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions
Good luck! Should be easier to check the glove box since the door is easy to drop down and check

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
If what I have read is correct, the whole glove box assembly needs to be removed. That isn't a big deal. I think I read that this involves removing 5 screws but is more than simply releasing the box and rotating it down.

Cruise72

Reactions
Did the install for both about a month ago (my ST is 2021 model). I heavily referenced this guide, which goes into detail the glovebox light installation.

The center console light is very straightforward; the panel containing the rear HVAC controls is held on by clips. Once the panel is unclipped, the dummy plug has to be disengaged from a retaining clip, same for the harness. Below is a photo of the dummy plug disengaged from the retaining clip.

20210829_201119.jpg

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@Cruise72 I think I understand the console light installation. I too have read the thread you have referenced with respect to the glove box light but can't quite make out the picture without the part in hand. What can you tell me about the glove box light? Is there a switch or actuator? Is it simply part of the glove box support arm?

Last edited:

Cruise72

Reactions
@Cruise72 I think I understand the console light installation. I too have read the thread you have referenced with respect to the glove box light but can't quite make out the picture without the part in hand. What can you tell me about the glove box light? Is there a switch or actuator? Is it simply part of the glove box support arm?
Essentially there are two plugs (male and female) for the glove box wiring harness; the female plug replaces the dummy plug attached behind the glovebox, and the male plug connects to the glove box support arm, causing the light to turn on/off when opening/closing the box.

Installation makes more sense when the glove box is disassembled.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thank you, the support arm being the actuator was what I was banking on. I appreciate your input.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm just reporting back. With parts in hand, now largely disappointed, and feeling a bit foolish, I can confidently tell you that my Xploder with a build date of 3/21 does not have either of the wiring connectors in existence to add the lights.

I'm not going to be opening up the wiring harnesses to add them. Learn from my mistakes. As was discussed earlier in this thread, don't be lazy like I was and I knew I was being lazy. Check for existing connectors before ordering the parts.

Somewhere along the line, Ford figured out the extra wiring laying around unused costs them money. :cautious:

Last edited:
OP
ScottZL1
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
I'm just reporting back. With parts in hand, now largely disappointed, and feeling a bit foolish, I can confidently tell you that my Xploder with a build date of 3/21 does not have either of the wiring connectors in existence to add the lights.

I'm not going to be opening up the wiring harnesses to add them. Learn from my mistakes. As was discussed earlier in this thread, don't be lazy like I was and I knew I was being lazy. Check for existing connectors before ordering the parts.

Somewhere along the line, Ford figured out the extra wiring laying around unused costs them money. :cautious:
Thank you for sharing! Ours is also a 3/21 build date. So more than likely we also don't have the harness. Oh well!

I might try looking just to be sure. I'll report back if I find I do have the harness.