Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Gear shift/drive mode aluminum cover

Reactions
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
interesting. I wonder if that's a rubber 'grip' on the sides. If you do that one you may want to get one for the Drive Mode selector as well. I like the idea if it is a quality aluminum/rubber product.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
interesting. I wonder if that's a rubber 'grip' on the sides. If you do that one you may want to get one for the Drive Mode selector as well. I like the idea if it is a quality aluminum/rubber product.
Agree. It appears that the black portion is rubberized. They make one for both knobs. I may guinea pig it and see what they’re like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrjoeyg12

Reactions
Let us know if you get one and how it turned out please! I would love to add this to mine

jrjoeyg12

Reactions
I went ahead and ordered it. Couldn't help it lol. Will update when I get it and upload pictures so everyone can see what it looks like!

Reactions
I went ahead and ordered it. Couldn't help it lol. Will update when I get it and upload pictures so everyone can see what it looks like!
I'm interested to see what you think of the fit and finish when you get it, the instructions to apply it seem to be for a decal not the shifter knob lol.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Please update us! They’re quite expensive for what they are, which makes me hopeful they’re pretty nice. I’d love for them to be nicely milled aluminum with rubberized sides

okfoz

Reactions
Watching

jrjoeyg12

Reactions
Update: shipping from China. Estimated date is May 3rd.

Reactions
Update: shipping from China. Estimated date is May 3rd.
That's not really a surprise where it is coming from, but WOW it's going to take a while. I kinda wish they made this for the drive mode rather than the shifter (personal pref on that one I think)

jrjoeyg12

Reactions
They have the drive mode selector too. I thought about getting both but decided against it since I don't know how it will be yet. Pretty sure the drive mode is the same size as the volume knob....would be cool if it worked on both.

OP
R
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
They have the drive mode selector too. I thought about getting both but decided against it since I don't know how it will be yet. Pretty sure the drive mode is the same size as the volume knob....would be cool if it worked on both.
I didn’t even think about that. If they’re nice I’m gonna replace drive mode, gear shift and both radio knobs

jrjoeyg12

Reactions
Eh it won't work. The drive mode knob is 1/4" wider in diameter than the volume knob.

jrjoeyg12

Reactions
OK so it came in way early which was nice! A little disapointing, but also not really. It's not made out of metal and rubber. It's all plastic. So that's disappointing. But it feels nice and its relatively solid when you put it on, so it's ok on that front. I think the look overall is a bit nicer, but I really wish it was rubber. The black parts are basically really little nubs. I wouldn't say it improves the feel at all, but mildly upgrades the look. It's got these little adhesive tapes on the inside, but I didn't even use them. It fits pretty snug. For ~$20 I don't know if I'd buy again, but I'm not regretful. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions
OK so it came in way early which was nice! A little disapointing, but also not really. It's not made out of metal and rubber. It's all plastic. So that's disappointing. But it feels nice and its relatively solid when you put it on, so it's ok on that front. I think the look overall is a bit nicer, but I really wish it was rubber. The black parts are basically really little nubs. I wouldn't say it improves the feel at all, but mildly upgrades the look. It's got these little adhesive tapes on the inside, but I didn't even use them. It fits pretty snug. For ~$20 I don't know if I'd buy again, but I'm not regretful. Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting the update and photos, that is disappointing that it's not rubber on it. I think personally this could still be something on the drive mode selector as that would help set the two apart by feel. Might be something to think about in the future for myself.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I personally think that looks pretty nice. I would not want the surround to be rubber--that would just be something to break down and disintegrate. I just don't think black is the color to go with...maybe red to carry on the ST theme.

Reactions
EBay has these covers in red and blue that fit the gear selector, mode selector and light knob. I think the light knob is the same size as the radio knobs so one could do them as well.

Blackssr

Reactions
Has anyone tried these? The cheap looking plastic on the knobs are a little strange. Curious if anyone has purchased these and whether the quality is decent and if it was a worthwhile upgrade?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Alum...-/203223228188?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I looked into these and sent him a message asking if he had the knobs to go on the radio also he did not.I didn't order them because I think they would look incomplete if you didn't have the matching radio knobs.