Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Full Service Car Wash - Stay in Neutral Mode

ezridermn

Reactions
I want to run my ST through a full-service car wash that requires me to exit the vehicle when they vacuum the floor. Once it is vacuumed a car wash employee then drives the vehicle over to the car wash lane and puts the vehicle in neutral as it is put on the track that pulls the vehicle through the car washing functions. I'm concerned that even if I put the vehicle in Stay in Neutral Mode.before exiting the vehicle it would be turned off when the vehicle is put in park to be vacuumed and then driven to over to the car wash line. Is there a way to set the vehicle up to go through a car wash of this nature so that it doesn't activate the automatic return to park mode?

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
In the Manual there's these instructions explicitly for Car washes
Note: When entering an automatic car wash, always enter the Stay in Neutral Mode. Stay in Neutral Mode must be enabled, if you are exiting the vehicle before the car wash.
Extended usage of Stay in Neutral mode may result in a battery voltage reduction to level where the vehicle may no longer start.
Do not tow your vehicle in this mode.
With the transmission selector in Stay in Neutral Mode, you can start your vehicle and it is free to roll.
To enter Stay in Neutral mode, do the following:
Bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
Shift into neutral (N).
Press the manual (M) or low (L) button within five seconds after shifting to neutral (N).
Note: Stay in Neutral Mode confirmation message appears in the information display when your vehicle has entered Stay in Neutral mode and the neutral (N) button on the transmission selector slowly blinks.
To exit Stay in Neutral mode, press the brake pedal and shift to park (P) or start the engine and apply brakes to shift to another driving range, for example drive (D) or reverse (R).