Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fuel Spit-back and TSB 22-2176

dsga1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello Folks -- unsure if anyone actively dealing with the issue of fuel "spit back" during your visit to pump?

With my 2020 Explorer ST, I can't fully fill the gas tank or fuel will flow out of filler tube.
I spoke with local dealer service dept and they had no idea.
I spoke with local trusted service shop and was sent TSB 22-2176 which (a) exactly describes my behavior, and (b) matches make/model year of explorer.

However, when I called back local dealer service department about topic and referred to TSB 22-2176, they instead told me that super super-ceded by TSB 22-2433 (and quoted cost of $2400 to fix).

Issues and topics:
  1. when does TSB become warranty recall?
  2. why can't I locate TSB 22-2433 ?
  3. If I refer to TSB 22-2176 (which is public), there are multiple filler pipe part numbers referenced for various make/models. the Explorer filler tube is Ford part 'L1MZ-9034-W'.
  4. when I call Ford parts dept and ask "is L1MZ-9034-W' the latest version of filler pipe for my Explorer ST?", I'm told that is NOT the correct part number and it is instead 'L1MZ-9034-AJ'.
  5. I can't locate anything about "L1MZ-9034-AJ" on Internet. I was quoted $151 to dealer.
Why isn't any __current__ information publicly available to describe what FORD using to resolve my issue(s)?

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.

-GA

Boss240

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST, 2012 Boss Mustang, 2019 Audi S4
Wow didn't know anyone was having an issue with it spitting back. I have a problem every time at the pump filling up as it clicks off after a few seconds. The only way to get it to keep filling is pull it out a couple inches or turn it upside down. All the pumps by me have a rubber grommet to protect against spit back so maybe that's why I don't see it happening because I do see a little fuel around the fill area when I pull the pump out.

We use many Explorer's at work and I can say most of the fill ports have issues either breaking or having some kind of issue getting the nozzles into them and out as they don't fit in properly. They get filled everyday and definitely don't hold up well at all.

Reactions
Hi, I am from Canada and our gas pump nozzles have more nozzle exposed than in some parts of the US where the rubber sleeve leaves little nozzle showing. This means you cannot push the nozzle in very far and I think you need to get the nozzle in a little farther to fill freely. I was just in southern California and rented an Edge and I noticed the same problem with the pump nozzles. You needed to force the nozzle in as far as you can for it to work properly. Good luck.

Reactions
I performed the original TSB repair on my 2020 Platinum a year or so ago after the nozzle kept clicking off every few seconds the majority of fill ups. I’m not sure the exact part number of the updated fuel fill pipe that I installed (I’m a Ford tech) and I did notice they superseded it to a new TSB recently, probably just expanded model and/or years. If you’re under 3year/36K it can be done free of charge, possibly even be covered under powertrain 5year/60k

OP
dsga1

dsga1

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
Sincere thanks for the insight!

I performed the original TSB repair on my 2020 Platinum a year or so ago after the nozzle kept clicking off every few seconds the majority of fill ups. I’m not sure the exact part number of the updated fuel fill pipe that I installed (I’m a Ford tech) and I did notice they superseded it to a new TSB recently, probably just expanded model and/or years. If you’re under 3year/36K it can be done free of charge, possibly even be covered under powertrain 5year/60k