Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Front Tow Bolt

2020 ST

Reactions
I was checking out the front end. On the lower right side there is a small access door formed into the black plastic face trim. If you pop off that access door, there is a large threaded hole that I assume you could screw a threaded hook or I-bolt of some sort. has anyone checked that out? Does anyone know the thread size for that? In the Great Whit North, it always nice to know where the tow points are on your vehicle.

Thanks.

TonyST

Reactions
This tow hook is supposed to be delivered with every new 2020 Explorer and it explains that in the users manual. It is supposed to be stored in the passenger side spare tire area (small depression in the area near the rear). Most of us have gotten our Explorers delivered without this tow hook.

OP

2020 ST

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Merry Christmas to all.
Since none of us have the tow hook, does anyone know the thread size.
I will research making my own.

Thanks,

STO

Reactions
Merry Christmas to all.
Since none of us have the tow hook, does anyone know the thread size.
I will research making my own.

Thanks,
Call the dealership they will get you one

GrumpyVet

Reactions
Interesting this vehicle was supposed to ship with the tow hook. Anyone know what Ford is doing to get the tow hook to the customers who have already taken possession? Without it there’s really no other frontal tie down point.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
EM2Z-17A954-A Tow Eye

Reactions
My 2021 ST delivered without the tow hook. I asked the dealer about it and the parts manager checked the HVBOM for my VIN and it showed my ST should have it. They ordered it for me. My current issue is that the threaded hole to screw the hook into does not exist. I pop open that little plastic cover on the front bumper and everything inside there is blank. No hole, never was one. I have engaged Ford's Customer Service over this and another small issue and have been sent a river of BS answers...really stupid stuff too, like "Read page 52 of your owner's manual for the explanation of the tow hook" (page 52 only talks about air bags). They will not respond to me any longer. Going a different route now.

Question: How many gen 6 Explorer owners have the threaded hole for the tow hook behind the front bumper? Wondering if mine was simply overlooked at the Chicago factory.

Thanks for your time.

Reactions
I also have a '21 ST with no threaded hole. My understanding is only the first round of 2020s had em.

Reactions
Hmmm, then why do you suppose the HVBOM would still issue the hook to the vehicle?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Some had the threaded hole...some didn’t. Mine has it but I keep forgetting to order the hook. If anyone has one they wanna sell I’m looking to buy.

Reactions
Some had the threaded hole...some didn’t. Mine has it but I keep forgetting to order the hook. If anyone has one they wanna sell I’m looking to buy.
Have the parts person at your dealer check the HVBOM for your VIN. Ford may owe it to you for free.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Have the parts person at your dealer check the HVBOM for your VIN. Ford may owe it to you for free.
My time is worth more than that wasted hour of my life.

Reactions
Another question for gen 6 owners: how do you lift the spare tire cover up to get to the tire? Is there a cutout for your finger? Is there a nylon finger strap for that? Mine has the provisions on the underside to attach a simple strap but nothing. Ford tells me to use my finger in the "cutout"...that does not exist.

Reactions
I was checking out the front end. On the lower right side there is a small access door formed into the black plastic face trim. If you pop off that access door, there is a large threaded hole that I assume you could screw a threaded hook or I-bolt of some sort. has anyone checked that out? Does anyone know the thread size for that? In the Great Whit North, it always nice to know where the tow points are on your vehicle.

Thanks.
Not sure of the thread size (diameter, pitch, etc.) but my factory tow hook has left-handed threads as opposed to the more normal right-hand threads-Weird.

Reactions
Another question for gen 6 owners: how do you lift the spare tire cover up to get to the tire? Is there a cutout for your finger? Is there a nylon finger strap for that? Mine has the provisions on the underside to attach a simple strap but nothing. Ford tells me to use my finger in the "cutout"...that does not exist.
I have a 2021 ST no idea the Gen # but on mine the spare tire cover is plastic at the back, the plastic folds over to end right behind the 3rd row seats. Pull up on the plastic right behind the seats until you can tell where the velcro is located, use your finder to separate the velcro then pull the plastic piece toward the back kind of rolling it out of its hole, the cover will follow along. When putting it back set the liftgate end of the cover in the hole, hold the plastic piece folded against the cover and as you lay the cover down roll the plastic piece into its hole then secure the plastic edge back to the two strips of velcro.