Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

From GM to BMW and now a brand new Explorer ST

V8bait

Reactions
Hey y'all just introducing myself. Just picked up a star white 2021 optioned out today and so far it's a capable toy. I'm not sure I'll do anything to it yet but if anyone is here from the BMW/GM/4G63/STi world's maybe you'll recognize the name.

I'll do some research soon but what's the most common tuning platform for these new EcoBoost engines and are there any public engineering file leaks or has someone like hptuners already done the hard work?

Looking forward to this new platform, it is very reminiscent of the X5 (in a good way)!
received_231271711809637.jpeg

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
HP Tuners for the device and use ZFG for your tuning.

STFan

Administrator
Reactions
Welcome aboard

OP
V

V8bait

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks y'all. Seems there's good options already for self and paid tuning options which is great, if the wife allows it I'll be springing for self. Initially I wanted the new bronco but after a few days getting to know this performance "crossover" (are rwd unibodies considered crossovers?) I'm actually quite excited and it's going to be hard to keep my fingers out of the tune.

My main complaint is the electric steering but that seems unavoidable these days regardless of the brand. So really just the twitchy steering and overly aggressive throttle (like every OEM does, or maybe it's the 10 speed gear seeking, not sure yet). When I decide to buck the warranty here's to hoping others have fixed this.

OP
V

V8bait

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
This is my other ride. May not look like much but this 'ol N54 335i has 720wrhp and I've tuned a few to nearly 1,000 so suffice it to say I'm looking forward to getting back into domestics.

I feel like I'm that odd minority that came back to domestics.

Attachments

Reactions
The Wife decided to go for our ST from a 2016 X5. Overall happier with the ST. I’ve seen a few making a similar switch to either the Explorer or Aviator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

V8bait

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
The Wife decided to go for our ST from a 2016 X5. Overall happier with the ST. I’ve seen a few making a similar switch to either the Explorer or Aviator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah overall I'm happy with the ST. Interior is ok, I think it'll hold up to the expected abuse better than the X5 would have.

Anyway, can't seem to find any tunes I like. I think I'll hold out for a Ford Performance tune for the warranty (came with lifetime powertrain with only minor stipulations), at least for now until the 10R60 proves itself. All these tunes are pushing way more than the rated 600nm and as I'm planning on keeping this for a while I'm not comfortable with that, especially as I've seen the 10R80 burn up clutches a few times with torquey builds. In the future though I may look into tuning it myself for something that ramps boost to keep torque stable around 450 crank tq, might raise peak power rpm but should keep the trans happier. I'm surprised nobody offers that.

Zim

Reactions
Yeah overall I'm happy with the ST. Interior is ok, I think it'll hold up to the expected abuse better than the X5 would have.

Anyway, can't seem to find any tunes I like. I think I'll hold out for a Ford Performance tune for the warranty (came with lifetime powertrain with only minor stipulations), at least for now until the 10R60 proves itself. All these tunes are pushing way more than the rated 600nm and as I'm planning on keeping this for a while I'm not comfortable with that, especially as I've seen the 10R80 burn up clutches a few times with torquey builds. In the future though I may look into tuning it myself for something that ramps boost to keep torque stable around 450 crank tq, might raise peak power rpm but should keep the trans happier. I'm surprised nobody offers that.
you will be waiting a long time for a Ford performance tune. Just go with palm beach dyno or zfg if he’s back.

I just tuned mine and wouldn’t go back. The stock tune in comparison is weak. Just don’t beat it on it like a mad man and it should hold up just fine. Imo

Reactions

My tuner is Brett at Boostkingtuning.com. I have a nice mild daily tune from him that we leave in for the wife. It's around 40/40 whp/wtq. It's enough to notice a nice difference and his shifting is nice in all modes, no surprises. It's just on 91 right now. We are currently working on a 94 tune for more "fun" and I expect that we probably won't push it with that one either, but we'll see what it does once I get the whipple intercooler in. Anyway it might be a decent option for you, he is a very experienced tuner that has been in the ecoboost game for a while. He can tune on SCT or HPtuners.