Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

FP Tune or ZFG?

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I’m a total newb when it comes to tuning but am curious . I am in the fence about getting the ZFG or FP tune. I’m out of warranty and have never tuned a car before. Everyone here seems to know what to do so would it be easier to just get the FP tune and have the dealer do it or try ZFG? Also I have heard ZFG is better for the buck as the dealer is charging $825 for the tune and $200 for install.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Not even a question if out of warranty. I LOVE my ZFG tuned drivetrain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I’m a total newb when it comes to tuning but am curious . I am in the fence about getting the ZFG or FP tune. I’m out of warranty and have never tuned a car before. Everyone here seems to know what to do so would it be easier to just get the FP tune and have the dealer do it or try ZFG? Also I have heard ZFG is better for the buck as the dealer is charging $825 for the tune and $200 for install.
There’s not even a valid comparison. There are two aftermarket tuners that are at the top of their game. #1 for this platform is indeed ZFG(Adam using HPtuners setup) with the next being GooseTuned(Winfield using the Cobb Tuning setup). He is “next” because he doesn’t yet have the long-term presence on the Explorer ST forum as ZFG. GooseTuned is however, the #1 on the Ecoboost Raptor forum as he’s been with it since forever. You can’t go wrong with either of these with the nod going to ZFG, depending on how much you like to talk to the actual tuner. ZFG has several projects underway and there will likely be a day or more dwell time before action whereas GooseTuned will likely act within a couple of hours, but certainly the same or next day.

That’s not a dig against ZFG at all, just some things to ponder based on your preference for the different tuning setups/user interface and/or personality. I have the ZFG tune on my ExplorerST.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
If you’re out of warranty, ZFG is a no brainer. It is just as easy to install as FP tune maybe even easier. Of course any tune is easy to install.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Also I have heard ZFG is better for the buck as the dealer is charging $825 for the tune and $200 for install.
I have a ZFG tune on my 23 and had one on my 21 so I can say his tunes are the best I've ever used, there may be equal or better out there but I've never tried them.
Now bang for the buck at the very least a ZFG tune will run you 650 bucks, 450 for the tune itself and 200 for the 4 credits you need to load the tune. Also, if you don't have an HP tuning device, factor in another 400 for a device so now your looking at 1050 for a ZFG tune.

1 other thing, AFAIK ZFG is the only tuner who offers launch control or a software transbrake for the ST. The launch control is built in to all his tunes now free of charge but the transbrake is an add on that you pay extra for.

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yep, I forgot about the extras offered by HPtuners and ZFG. You’re sol with Cobb. They’re just too little too late AND you can’t get the Acesstuner software for it. Hard fail on the Cobb Tuning setup for the “real” hotrodders. GooseTuned is stuck with Cobb for now. I think he also uses HPtuners some, but can’t say for sure on that.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I have a ZFG tune on my 23 and had one on my 21 so I can say his tunes are the best I've ever used, there may be equal or better out there but I've never tried them.
Now bang for the buck at the very least a ZFG tune will run you 650 bucks, 450 for the tune itself and 200 for the 4 credits you need to load the tune. Also, if you don't have an HP tuning device, factor in another 400 for a device so now your looking at 1050 for a ZFG tune.

1 other thing, AFAIK ZFG is the only tuner who offers launch control or a software transbrake for the ST. The launch control is built in to all his tunes now free of charge but the transbrake is an add on that you pay extra for.
Or just get his combined package for tune for $850. You can save $100 buying tuner separate to.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
Skip FP that tune isn’t going to even be as good as the Cobb ots tune. Either go with zfg or goosetuned. It really comes down to which device you like better, I personally like the accessport. But both tuners with give you a great tune.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Another question … I will be trading in after a year or so ..will the tune effect how much they give me for trade?

Reactions
Another question … I will be trading in after a year or so ..will the tune effect how much they give me for trade?

If you tell them, I'd almost guarantee they'd offer you less on trade in. You can return it to stock before you trade it in, then keep the device to tune your next ride.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
They would probably give you less but they won’t really know if you take the tune off.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I paid $695 for the FP tune, the dealer install was $180.

Seeing you're out of warranty, it's up to you to whether or not you still want to keep everything FORD.

Otherwise, for other people it comes down to installing a 3rd party warranty and breaking the 3/36 warranty or installing the FP tune and retaining the 3/36 warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
If you go FP, since you're out of warranty - install it yourself.

OP
BigAnt75

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Now the big question…ZFG Racing or Performance Tune both w/93…who has either and thoughts?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Now the big question…ZFG Racing or Performance Tune both w/93…who has either and thoughts?
How about DMS so you have both? I have normal mode running performance and sport running race. I'm not sure what ZFG does with the tranny settings in the drive modes. Normal is very daily friendly even with the performance tune. Feels stock until you step on it. Sport does seem to behave a bit different than it did stock... the shifts seem more abrupt, firm. Not sure the Mrs would be happy if it was like that all the time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 explorer ST
With ford performance you’ll get what 30 hp, Zfg is likely to net you 100 whp and 150 tq, assuming you do the intercooler and downpipes. Zfg is a pro tune custome for your vehicle and your fuel, ford is an ots tune. Not only will your car shift night and day better but on the Zfg tune and a couple bolt ons you can easily smoke most cars on the road, with the ford tune your not smoking anything you can’t already. Best thing for your trans is to get away from fords programing, that and make sure your fluid is the proper level.

Reactions
I have both thru my dms tune. 1/4 mile pull leaving from idle, performance tune was about a tenth slower than race tune on e50. I'd guess on 93 the difference would be fairly similar.