Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Found the fix for the rear window air noise

Reactions
The dealer changed out the weatherstrip but that was not the fix. After several test drives I put painters tape between the stationary and movable glass. See picture. No noise at all after driving on the freeway.
I hope the dealer can change out the stationary plastic piece to fix the problem.

Attachments

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Nice low tech troubleshooting and thanks for passing it along.

KegsBdry

Reactions
The dealer changed out the weatherstrip but that was not the fix. After several test drives I put painters tape between the stationary and movable glass. See picture. No noise at all after driving on the freeway.
I hope the dealer can change out the stationary plastic piece to fix the problem.
What is the green tape on the roof rake?

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
The dealer said it was my Ford Roof racks causing air turbulence noise and I needed an after market air screen. I marked the rack placement on the rails with the green tape before I removed them to test their theory. They were wrong.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Curious, did the dealer say what aftermarket air screen? Wondering if a different test would identify whether it's the window channel gap or the actual trim piece. What if you ran the tape down the moveable glass section right along the gap, but not actually taping the trim piece to the glass?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I don't think that trim is replaceable on it's own. I had a piece of torn weatherstrip and B-pillar trim that needed fixing. Imagine my surprise when the window weatherstrip and quarter rear window was all one unit that needed replaced. Needless to say, that is a significant chunk of the door and I was worried it wouldn't be replaced correctly but everything seems OK. I would seriously look at other solutions if that rear window trim cannot be replaced as a separate piece because the solution may end up worse than the original problem with all the work that is involved.
IMG_3872.JPG

Last edited:
OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Great information. The only other thing I noticed was the window seems to bow a bit when fully closed. Almost as if the regulator is not adjusted correctly. Pushed a MM too high which bows the glass causing a gap in the trim.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Curious, did the dealer say what aftermarket air screen? Wondering if a different test would identify whether it's the window channel gap or the actual trim piece. What if you ran the tape down the moveable glass section right along the gap, but not actually taping the trim piece to the glass?
The dealer did not specify about the wind screen.

I did started with tape at the front of the window and that did not fix anything. I can actually press the middle trim from the interior while driving and I can make the air sound stop. So after putting tape on the middle trim complete silence while driving.

I did just post that I noticed the Same window appears to bow when all the way up. Almost as If the regulator pushes the window too high causing it to bow which flexes and causes a gap at the trim.

I will try just placing tape on the glass only next.

Reactions
The dealer did not specify about the wind screen.

I did started with tape at the front of the window and that did not fix anything. I can actually press the middle trim from the interior while driving and I can make the air sound stop. So after putting tape on the middle trim complete silence while driving.

I did just post that I noticed the Same window appears to bow when all the way up. Almost as If the regulator pushes the window too high causing it to bow which flexes and causes a gap at the trim.

I will try just placing tape on the glass only next.
This thread is stale it seems but I’m having this issue. After closely looking at the weather stripping I noticed the pillar along the stationary window is bent! When you run your finger along that piece you feel that it’s all rippled. And when you look straight at it, you can see the bends. I hope this is the cause but I also realize that whole assembly probably needs to be replaced :(

KegsBdry

Reactions
This thread is stale it seems but I’m having this issue. After closely looking at the weather stripping I noticed the pillar along the stationary window is bent! When you run your finger along that piece you feel that it’s all rippled. And when you look straight at it, you can see the bends. I hope this is the cause but I also realize that whole assembly probably needs to be replaced :(
What sucks is all these visits to repair this issue is lowering your resale value of the vehicle. And it came out of the factory this way.

F=MA

Reactions
I have a tea kettle whistle (new 2023) which starts about 30 mph depending on the wind. Messed with the front lower passenger windshield seal which seemed to reduce it a bit. Passed a semi and the rush of wind gave it a shot of life again. I was of course going to use blue painters tape to try and isolate the sound starting at the lower pass windshield and at the two upper roof rack locations then tape a side of the windshield at a time to try and find the section of windshield that leaks. I guess I will start at the rear passenger window and work my way around.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
What sucks is all these visits to repair this issue is lowering your resale value of the vehicle. And it came out of the factory this way.
That's why lemon laws exist. Call Ford and tell them to buy it back. Issues with quality should not be happening this often on a 61k plus vehicle.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
They had trouble with mirrors and wind noise. Any chance it could be this? Try retracting your mirror when you hear it.