Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Forscan secure idle

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone can point me to the exact number in forescan when I can enable my secure idle. Mine did not come turned on from the factory. I was in the f150 forum & he went into the bcm module 726-42-01 & chamged the 2nd digit to 1 to enable it. I just waiting for my renewal licence but figure I would ask. Thank you to all in advance.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
What is secure idle?

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Secure idle is when you have your vechile in park & you have your keys around 20 feet away from the vechile, the vechile will not go out of park. We have had allot of car jackings lately here in Toronto so I was looking for something where I leave a dummy fob in the center console & the real one in my pocket & walk away & the car jacker will think the keys are in the car running & I run away while my car does not move out of park. Silly that we have got to this point in life. I know I can just give them the real keys & walk away no harm done but Im a stubborn person lol. Sorry for long winded respone.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Secure idle is when you have your vechile in park & you have your keys around 20 feet away from the vechile, the vechile will not go out of park. We have had allot of car jackings lately here in Toronto so I was looking for something where I leave a dummy fob in the center console & the real one in my pocket & walk away & the car jacker will think the keys are in the car running & I run away while my car does not move out of park. Silly that we have got to this point in life. I know I can just give them the real keys & walk away no harm done but Im a stubborn person lol. Sorry for long winded respone.
:unsure:

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I had no idea crime is that bad in Canada . If somebody tries to carjack a person in Texas they usually end up shot by the car owner.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Why not just lock your car with the key in your pocket. I do that a lot in cold weather. The double honk can be disabled with Forscan if you don't like that.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Why not just lock your car with the key in your pocket. I do that a lot in cold weather. The double honk can be disabled with Forscan if you don't like that.
I would lock my door but when a person with a gun is telling you to get out of the vehicle & leave the keys in the car you do that.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is there some new law in Toronto requiring you to leave the car idling? Wouldn't that alone explain the amount of car jackings? :rolleyes: Are you required to leave kids or dogs in the car and need to keep the A/C running? Is there some anomaly in Canadian vehicles that makes restarting them difficult? Where do you get the "dummy key fob"? Even if you could find such a fake key fob, why leave it in your vehicle- are criminals there far more intelligent than criminals in the US? I can almost hear these bad guys "Hey Rocco, don't steal that idling car, the key fob wasn't left in view!' Are you sure you're not mistaking "stubborn" with stupid? Maybe you're just trying to be funny and I missed it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
You either leave it running and lock it or turn it off and lock it. What's your point here... if any?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I would lock my door but when a person with a gun is telling you to get out of the vehicle & leave the keys in the car you do that.
Sorry but I missed your initial point. Now that I do understand I would rather just let them have the vehicle. I doubt I could run fast enough to get far away before they realized the issue and they would be coming after you putting you in great danger. My 2 cents.

@TMac key fobs can be bought off of Ebay for about $35.00 It would not work unless programmed.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
No there is no new law here in toronto. It has nothing to do with leaving the car running for the ac. It has to do with being at a red light & you get car jacked. The dummy fob would be a replacemnemt fob shell from amazon. I would leave the dummy fob in my glovebox & pull ot out everytime I get in my car. Im sorry but Im not trying to be funny in anyway shape or form. Im sorry if I am confusing anyone with this post. Im just tring to think of a creative way to aviod getting my car stolen.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
IIRC, my Explorer behaves exactly as you described. If I leave it running, in Park, walk away with the fob in my pocket, it will not shift out of Park.

No?

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Yes exactly. Mine does not do this & Im looking for the work around in forscan.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No there is no new law here in toronto. It has nothing to do with leaving the car running for the ac. It has to do with being at a red light & you get car jacked. The dummy fob would be a replacemnemt fob shell from amazon. I would leave the dummy fob in my glovebox & pull ot out everytime I get in my car. Im sorry but Im not trying to be funny in anyway shape or form. Im sorry if I am confusing anyone with this post. Im just tring to think of a creative way to aviod getting my car stolen.
Here is a true story. When I was 18, I had a job for a large tractor trailer repair shop in Jackson Michigan. I used to drive a truck to Detroit/Dearborn/Willow Run area three times a week to pick up parts for long haulers who were broken down. On one particular occasion (remember this is before cell phones and GPS), I was in a very bad area of town, trying to find my way to some salvage yard I'd never visited before.

While at a stop sign I'm looking at my map to try to figure out where the heck I am when some crack-head puts a loaded revolver to my head through my open window (no A/C). For those heroes out there, even if I had a gun- even in my hand, when a desperate person puts a gun an inch away from your head and screams "Get the f*** out of the truck"- you get out. Period. I left the truck out the passenger side and stood there while he drove away. I didn't give a shit about the truck or the 6-71 Detroit Diesel I'd picked up earlier loaded in the back.

A strange calm came over me as I looked around at the most forbidding surroundings you can imagine in a bad area of Detroit (murder capitol of the US at that time). No pay phones. No nothing. I started walking and to my surprise a police unit came by about a minute later with lights and sirens on. I flagged him down and he went right past me. That's when I started to get really concerned. Shortly after that, another unit came by and stopped. They loaded me in the back and took me to a station a couple miles away. On the way, I gave them my story and they told me that guy had stolen (they didn't call it car-jacking then) another car before mine and shot the driver. Lots more to this story, but the moral is- even if you have a gun somewhere and think you're going to fight back, forget it, you're not. Second, give the friggin' car up. Anyone desperate enough to carjack you with a weapon is NOT the person with whom you want to discuss the matter. Third, imagine if when he tried to flee in the truck it was stuck in Park. Where do you think his frustration would have been aimed?

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes exactly. Mine does not do this & Im looking for the work around in forscan.
if yours does not do that, go to your dealer to get it corrected. I just went out to mine, started it, set the key down about 4 feet away. Then got in shut the door, got the double horn honk, no key detected flashed on the dash and it would not shift out of park. I have never used Forscan so it came that way from the factory.

But I agree with Tmac, let them have the vehicle. A much safer solution.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Here is a true story. When I was 18, I had a job for a large tractor trailer repair shop in Jackson Michigan. I used to drive a truck to Detroit/Dearborn/Willow Run area three times a week to pick up parts for long haulers who were broken down. On one particular occasion (remember this is before cell phones and GPS), I was in a very bad area of town, trying to find my way to some salvage yard I'd never visited before.

While at a stop sign I'm looking at my map to try to figure out where the heck I am when some crack-head puts a loaded revolver to my head through my open window (no A/C). For those heroes out there, even if I had a gun- even in my hand, when a desperate person puts a gun an inch away from your head and screams "Get the f*** out of the truck"- you get out. Period. I left the truck out the passenger side and stood there while he drove away. I didn't give a shit about the truck or the 6-71 Detroit Diesel I'd picked up earlier loaded in the back.

A strange calm came over me as I looked around at the most forbidding surroundings you can imagine in a bad area of Detroit (murder capitol of the US at that time). No pay phones. No nothing. I started walking and to my surprise a police unit came by about a minute later with lights and sirens on. I flagged him down and he went right past me. That's when I started to get really concerned. Shortly after that, another unit came by and stopped. They loaded me in the back and took me to a station a couple miles away. On the way, I gave them my story and they told me that guy had stolen (they didn't call it car-jacking then) another car before mine and shot the driver. Lots more to this story, but the moral is- even if you have a gun somewhere and think you're going to fight back, forget it, you're not. Second, give the friggin' car up. Anyone desperate enough to carjack you with a weapon is NOT the person with whom you want to discuss the matter. Third, imagine if when he tried to flee in the truck it was stuck in Park. Where do you think his frustration would have been aimed?
Im sorry you had to go through that. Very traumatic for sure. Gives me something to think about. Thank you.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
So I just turned back on the dreaded double honk. Turns out if you have it disabled the secure idle does not work. My secure idle was turned on but I could drive away. Now that my double honk it enabled secure idle is working. Can anyone else confirm if you can drive away with no keys with double honk disabled & secure idle turned on. Thank you.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
So I just turned back on the dreaded double honk. Turns out if you have it disabled the secure idle does not work. My secure idle was turned on but I could drive away. Now that my double honk it enabled secure idle is working. Can anyone else confirm if you can drive away with no keys with double honk disabled & secure idle turned on. Thank you.
Good to know, I guess I'll turn the double honk back on.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Uh…just tested mine. I have dbl honk disabled and my son was not able to shift out of park when the keys were not in the vehicle. I did not use spreadsheets to enable or disable features though. I went in not as “As Built” and from there it’ll list the options and you just click enable or disable, there’s no changing numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
This is the method I used for enabling or disabling features. Around 7:50 is when he goes into the modules everything before that he just explains what forscan is and how to DL it and register. You can just skip to around 7:50.