Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Fordpass or Forscan

SIxpack

U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I have a new 2022 ST at the dealership they told me to download the Fordpass app never mentioned anything about Forscan. Did Fordpass replace Forscan? What's tha difference between the two?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Forscan is software you download to a laptop. You can then make changes to the ECM to configure, remove or add features, etc. Lots of info on this forum and online about Forscan.
Fordpass is just a app where you can start your car, lock, unlock and so on.

OP
SIxpack

SIxpack

U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
So do I need to purchase the Forscan software from Ford or is it available elseware?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can get a free license for a limited time for Forscan. You do need to buy an adapter to connect your laptop to your vehicle. https://forscan.org/home.html

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Forscan has nothing to do with Ford. It’s a company of people that have figured out how to, for lack of a better word, hack the computers in the car to add or remove features the car didn’t come with but are built into the software. It’s a phenomenal tool.
Fordpass is just a Ford app to keep up with your car.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I have a new 2022 ST at the dealership they told me to download the Fordpass app never mentioned anything about Forscan. Did Fordpass replace Forscan? What's tha difference between the two?
Exactly what @UNBROKEN said but to add to the FordPass part: FordPass is able to locate your vehicle if it is stolen, remote start and unlock/lock the vehicle, and if you activate it after buying the car, you get 42k ($210) points to spend at dealerships.

hbalek

Reactions
Exactly what @UNBROKEN said but to add to the FordPass part: FordPass is able to locate your vehicle if it is stolen, remote start and unlock/lock the vehicle, and if you activate it after buying the car, you get 42k ($210) points to spend at dealerships.
It also tells you if you have a leaking tire before it's too late and totally flat. In the first 3 months of ownership, I noticed on the app that one tire was lower than the others, right when lockdown began in March 2020. I drove straight to the tire place and had it replaced under warranty before being stranded or having to put the spare on myself or wait for roadside assistance. It also lets you know when to change the oil or if there are any powertrain or safety issues and even when there's a recall.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It also tells you if you have a leaking tire before it's too late and totally flat. In the first 3 months of ownership, I noticed on the app that one tire was lower than the others, right when lockdown began in March 2020. I drove straight to the tire place and had it replaced under warranty before being stranded or having to put the spare on myself or wait for roadside assistance. It also lets you know when to change the oil or if there are any powertrain or safety issues and even when there's a recall.
Okay also recalls, fuel level, and a lot more stuff.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
How does the Ford pass communicate with the car?
I mean, my ST doesn't have a 4g hot spot or anything.
But it still remote start from app.
Is it Bluetooth or WiFi network?

I'm a little bit bothered by the data sharing happing with Ford, for the features to work. More so with the warning that comes up on the infotainment screen for every key cycle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
How does the Ford pass communicate with the car?
I mean, my ST doesn't have a 4g hot spot or anything.
But it still remote start from app.
Is it Bluetooth or WiFi network?

I'm a little bit bothered by the data sharing happing with Ford, for the features to work. More so with the warning that comes up on the infotainment screen for every key cycle.
There is a built-in modem that's built into the car. You don't have to worry about Bluetooth or WiFi.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Does the Ford Pass app finally work right? I had nothing but problems when I first got this car so I deleted the app and every time I’ve tried to log back in it says “activation pending” and there’s supposed to be a message somewhere to give access…to myself. Never once seen that message and I’ve tried 3-4 times.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Does the Ford Pass app finally work right? I had nothing but problems when I first got this car so I deleted the app and every time I’ve tried to log back in it says “activation pending” and there’s supposed to be a message somewhere to give access…to myself. Never once seen that message and I’ve tried 3-4 times.
you need to be with the car and it running when you go to activate the app as it will ask for confirmation via the in-car screen with either a code to confirm or for you to just hit OK. You might have to try to activate again via the app if you did it and are waiting for the code. With my GF's car I had to master reset sync for the activation to go through again on the in-car screen.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
FordPass was REALLY REALLY BAD when it first came out, but after a lot of updates it is amazing.

Reactions
I find FordPass confusing. When we bought our 2021 ST we started our account with FordPass and could see both our vehicles on there, the 2021 Explorer ST and 2015 F250. While the App has more functions available for the ST due to its overall connectivity....start/stop, lock/unlock, view tire pressures etc. None of these functions are available on my F250 as it isn't connected like the ST.

The confusing part has to deal with the Service History for each vehicle. Since day one I have been unable to view the Service History for the ST, all I see on the app is that "You have no records at this time". But the non-connected F250 has every service record displayed. No one can explain to my why I cannot see the Service History with our ST.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My ford pass app works perfectly. A little slow for the actions but it gets the job done. At least it’s free for life and doesn’t require a subscription like many other manufacturers are starting to do.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I find FordPass confusing. When we bought our 2021 ST we started our account with FordPass and could see both our vehicles on there, the 2021 Explorer ST and 2015 F250. While the App has more functions available for the ST due to its overall connectivity....start/stop, lock/unlock, view tire pressures etc. None of these functions are available on my F250 as it isn't connected like the ST.

The confusing part has to deal with the Service History for each vehicle. Since day one I have been unable to view the Service History for the ST, all I see on the app is that "You have no records at this time". But the non-connected F250 has every service record displayed. No one can explain to my why I cannot see the Service History with our ST.
A long time ago I had an issue with Ford Pass. Wound up uninstalling and reinstalling it. Worked fine ever since. Might be worth a try.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
It was atrocious. Really put me off from even trying it again.
I wouldn't call it amazing--its painfully obvious that its an app built by a car company that hired (contracted) app developers rather than a software company's product that they made for a car--there are some pretty big human factors issues, but it is MUCH better than it was in 2020.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
It was atrocious. Really put me off from even trying it again.
I agree. Glad they fixed it now though.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I have had the ford pass app since 2019 and never saw the "atrocities" of the app. it always seemed to work for me and did what I needed it to do whenever I used it. With that said; I only I only used it for scheduling starts in the summer (worked flawlessly) and locking the car. the one complaint I could give it is the mapping of where it was was kinda garbage as it didnt update very often.

oh and side note I integrated it with my Alexa and I can now tell it to start my car which is nice.

Explorer ST Posts