Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Ford Police Interceptor Protects Officers After Being Hit In Accident (everyone's okay)

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
First and foremost, I want to say the Milwaukee Police Department reported no serious injuries from this accident that occurred on 5/22/23.

I posted this to show how well the PIU took a high speed hit from the side and protected it's passengers.

Glad my brother/sister First Responders were okay. God Bless you guys!

Reactions
Yep, the last gen was based on the Taurus. Back in 2009, there were several articles about the Taurus being purpose built to withstand impacts for safety (recall the Crown Vic rear impacts on interstates, thus big trunk). Gotta think the newest gen Explorer would be better. I've not seen any photos of the newest gen or how they are fairing in impacts...

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
It warms my heart to see so many citizens rush to the officer’s side.

OP
CareerFiremanGuy

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
It warms my heart to see so many citizens rush to the officer’s side.
100%(y)

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I saw somewhere where the police explorersare made to withstand a 70mph crash !!!

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I saw somewhere where the police explorersare made to withstand a 70mph crash !!!
The PIU has a 75MPH rear crash rating because it has the extra X bracing that the regular Explorers dont have. Many on this forum have added that X brace there are some very good threads on this project. No other OEM in the Police business has this. It came out of the big lawsuit years ago after AZ DPS officer was killed in fire ball crash after being struck from behind in an older Crown Victoria.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
WOW! Crazy well the vehicle took that hit! The other vehicle was moving! I'm glad to hear they were both ok!